Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

How to build a 3D race game

Started by someone2 Jan 24, 2005 at 2:11 AM 2 replies 1.5k views
Original Post
someone2
someone2
Hi, I am trying to build a race game similar to Need for Speed, I understand the track is modeled as a huge 3D model I have a few questions... 1. What is a good way to strip out irrelevant parts of the track? I mean, it is pointless to keep all the vertices of the track that have already passed. How could I strip them out? 2. Is there a way to force a certain order of faces in the .x file? It would be great if I can force the faces to be stored in the order they appear in the race Hmmm... that is all for now... Is there any book that covers such a topic? I'd be very interested in that. Thank you very much for all the help, sincerely appreciated..
noaktree
noaktree
You might try using a node tree to clip the vertices that are not in the view frustum. google "directx node tree" term.
game development is liek a state of mind man.. it's liek when you liek... think... and then you liek make it fun++

- Yes I'm drunk.
Tim Cowley
Tim Cowley
Recommend you read up on "spatial partitioning systems." BSP or quadtrees in particular would most likely benefit you in this situation. An alternative would be to store each section of track separately, and only display those that are currently visible.

edit: Beaten :p
MickeyMouse
MickeyMouse
Hi!
Quote:
I am trying to build a race game similar to Need for Speed, I understand the track is modeled as a huge 3D model

Your track model can be a single 3D model, but you should convert it to a spatial structure (e.g. BSP tree, oct-tree, quad-tree) in order to be able to determine what faces are relevant for current frame (visibility determination and collisions). In case of race games it might be a good idea to split faces into list of neighborous sectors.

Race like games (well, like almost any other game) have their specialized 3d editors, where you can define 'the right' way the car should follow.

You, for sure don't want to make your own editor if you begin with games, but you definitely need some space partitioning for optimization reasons.

GL! :)
Maciej Sawitus
my blog | my games

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.