Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Free 2D level editor?

Started by W01f Jan 26, 2005 at 5:32 PM 9 replies 3.2k views
Original Post
W01f
W01f
Are there any good ones floating around? My friends and I are thinking of doing a 2d sidescroller with the level design of metroid/new castlevania..so does anyone know of a good free/inexpensive editor that would assist me in creating this type of level?
barakus
barakus
Its usually best to make these kind of things yourself, customized for your game.
Its not too hard, especially using C#.
Saying that, if you still want to use someone elses, ive heard that Tile Studio is alright.It can export to almost all the APIs out there so you should be right with it.
Here is the link to the homepage have a look at it and see if it works for you http://tilestudio.sourceforge.net/
W01f
W01f
Thank you, that should come in handy since I don't know any programming languages.
jbadams
jbadams
Quote:
Original post by W01f
Thank you, that should come in handy since I don't know any programming languages.


Learn some (or better, learn one well) if you plan to get very far.
- Jason Astle-Adams
yaroslavd
yaroslavd
Quote:
Original post by W01f
Thank you, that should come in handy since I don't know any programming languages.


What the... That's like saying, "This joystick's gonna come in handy since I don't know how to fly."
W01f
W01f
I'm a level designer, not a programmer. You don't need to know programming to make levels, I know this for a fact. There are other people to fill the programming spots.


[Edited by - W01f on January 27, 2005 4:30:56 AM]
Icefox
Icefox
So get them to make a level editor for you.
-----http://alopex.liLet's Program: http://youtube.com/user/icefox192
W01f
W01f
Well that's always a good idea for full customization, but I'm just looking into all other options. If I can save the programmer time so he can work on the actual game, I will.
HemoGloben
HemoGloben
While that might seem all good and well, in most cases if you're doing something even partly specialized(like a castlevania game), the programmer will end up wasting more time coding hacks to get around limitations of the editor, then if he'd just programmed one himself.

But, either way, good luck.:)
if(this.post == SATISFYING){money.send(1.00,&HemoGloben);return thanks;}
johnhattan
johnhattan
There are a couple others, but Mappy's probably the best.

http://www.geocities.com/rburrowsgc/robmpy.htm
(my byline from the Gamedev Collection series, which I co-edited) John Hattan has been working steadily in the casual game-space since the TRS-80 days and professionally since 1990. After seeing his small-format games turned down for what turned out to be Tandy's last PC release, he took them independent, eventually releasing them as several discount game-packs through a couple of publishers. The packs are actually
paulecoyote
paulecoyote
It's constrained by the developers of your game. If they use a well known or commerical 2d engine, then an editor will probably already exist for it.

So look for a decent engine first if they don't want to program a level editor.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.