Original Post
Hi, guys. I'm having problems understanding rolling motion. Specifically, I am trying to simulate physically accurate pool ball movement. I'll tell you what I understand so far and what I don't. Hopefully, some of you can clear up my misconceptions and explain the answers to my questions: If the ball is hit hard enough, it slides at first. Because of kinetic friction, w gets bigger in the direction of motion, v gets smaller. When v = w x r, rolling motion now starts. From what I read, this type of motion is identical to sliding except with a much smaller coefficient of rolling friction. However, this doesn't make sense to me. I mean once v = w x r, the ball's gonna be rolling, but if v keeps decreasing and w keeps increasing, this condition is gonna break the next frame. And if w always increases, how is the ball gonna stop? Basically, I'm very confused about the transition from sliding motion to rolling motion, the conditions for each motion, and the movement of the ball during each type of motion. I'm very sorry, as this is a lot to explain, but if someone can even "common sensically" explain to me what's going on, I'd really appreciate it because I've read many tutorials and can't understand how this works.