Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Qt 4.0 Open Source License for Windows

Started by Russell Mar 11, 2005 at 3:49 AM 2 replies 1.5k views
Original Post
Russell
Russell
I saw that Trolltech is going to make the next version of Qt available for Windows open source development, for free. Previously the open source version was only available for Linux, Unix, and MacOS X. To use it with Windows you had to buy a commercial license (not cheap). It will be released under the GPL. So this is great news, I think. Then I read this. Qt/Windows Dual License FAQ
Quote:
Can I now use Qt for free everywhere? No, this is not the case. You can use Qt for free only if you are writing Open Source software following the obligations of the GPL license. You will then need to publish the source code of your software for free, unlimited re-use and re-distribution by anyone for any purpose. If you, for any reason, should be unable or unwilling to do this, you need to buy a commercial license.
So here's my question. If I write some open source program using Qt, and years from now I stop development and either have no means or desire to continue publishing the source code, I have to purchase a commercial license? I know there are sites like Sourceforge where I could probably park the source code for the rest of my life, so practically it shouldn't be a problem, but I think it's silly to have to worry about that the rest of my life for some hobby project.
Doc
Doc
So now Windows has a GPL option just like the rest. The GPL only applies while you are distributing your binary.

If you stop development, you aren't likely to continue distributing binaries, are you? Besides, with GPL stuff it's often easier to *only* distribute the source.

So to answer your question, you'd have to buy the license if and only if you stop distribution of the source while you continue distributing the binaries.
smart_idiot
smart_idiot
GPL (not to be confused with LGPL) requires you to release your source code. That's the way it works. If you don't like it, pay for their commercial license instead. They give you a choice.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.