Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

[java] Transparency in Java

Started by Dougie Mar 16, 2005 at 12:37 PM 8 replies 2.2k views
Original Post
Dougie
Dougie
Hey up everyone, I'm a C++ programmer who's started using Java quite a bit. I'd like to know how, in java, you'd perform a transparentBlt operation in java (i.e. make part of the image transparent and overlay it onto another image. At the moment I use ImageIcons and JLabels to display the images. If these are rubbish ways of doing it, please tell me the best way. Thank you for your time
Optus
Optus
I'm pretty sure you can do it just fine the way you are. Just use images with alpha. .GIFs can do this, so can .PNG.
Dougie
Dougie
Ok, can you suggest a good, free image editor that supports alpha mapping then? I tried "brush stroke", but if the transparency is been stored, it is not being displayed
H_o_p_s
H_o_p_s
You can't even run Pixia on a mac/linux/unix/solaris/anything-but-windows-box!

I can get everything that I need to get done in GIMP faster then I can in Photoshop... Now its true that it isn't as intuitive but it is not that hard to learn.

Anyway, my short little rant [smile]
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
capn_midnight
capn_midnight
Quote:
Original post by H_o_p_s
You can't even run Pixia on a mac/linux/unix/solaris/anything-but-windows-box!

I can get everything that I need to get done in GIMP faster then I can in Photoshop... Now its true that it isn't as intuitive but it is not that hard to learn.

Anyway, my short little rant [smile]

to bad:
A) The quality of the filters and effects are terrible, I can almost always pick out a Gimp picture
B) it doesn't support tablets
C) worst of all, it is actually impossible to USE a tablet, unless you know an arcane config setting
D) the interface is the spawn of satan. This is a design program. Brilliant.
E) it's buggy as hell, it crashes on me all the time (and not just in windows)

the Gimp has to be the worst piece of image editting software I've seen since Microsoft PhotoEd.
H_o_p_s
H_o_p_s
Quote:
Original post by capn_midnight
to bad:
A) The quality of the filters and effects are terrible, I can almost always pick out a Gimp picture
B) it doesn't support tablets
C) worst of all, it is actually impossible to USE a tablet, unless you know an arcane config setting
D) the interface is the spawn of satan. This is a design program. Brilliant.
E) it's buggy as hell, it crashes on me all the time (and not just in windows)

the Gimp has to be the worst piece of image editting software I've seen since Microsoft PhotoEd.


I understand now why you assume that Pixia is a better program. Tablet support is a problem with The GIMP. However I have to disagree with you on several of your assertions.

I'll work in reverse.
E) I've been using GIMP on my mac for more then a few years. I have yet to have GIMP crash on me. Now, I also have to say that Photoshop hasn't crashed on me either, so maybe it is just a platform issue.

D) Since the creation of Docks became available the whole crappy UI idea is out the window.

note: just slopply rendered bg etc... just for showing me workspace.
-=EDIT=- hmmm... seemed to have two layer panes docked.... usually the right one is the color channels -=/EDIT=-

C & B: Valid claims for people who use tablets.

A) I have to disagree with this one. If you'd like I'll load up any images that you send me and perform the same filter in both Photoshop and GIMP and have you guess which one is the GIMP.

Overall I have to state again that GIMP works for me better then Photoshop. It might not for someone who uses tablets, but the majority of people don't.

-=EDIT=-
Just went through and looked at the gdnet comic, I like your drawings! Do you have a portfolio or somethingt that I could look at?

[Edited by - H_o_p_s on March 19, 2005 12:28:08 AM]
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
capn_midnight
capn_midnight
Quote:
Original post by H_o_p_s
E) I've been using GIMP on my mac for more then a few years. I have yet to have GIMP crash on me. Now, I also have to say that Photoshop hasn't crashed on me either, so maybe it is just a platform issue.
Lucky punk. :)
Quote:

D) Since the creation of Docks became available the whole crappy UI idea is out the window.


Ah, you have just demonstrated what I mean. Check out your task bar, with it's 57 different items for just one program. As for the organization of the windows on the screen, I find the gimp boxes much larger than the photoshop boxes, but overall photoshop has the same "I'm a tool box and I'm floating infront of your picture" problem.
Quote:

Just went through and looked at the gdnet comic, I like your drawings! Do you have a portfolio or somethingt that I could look at?

yeah, I have two places, on deviant art (which I'm trying to get away from), and on my own site.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.