Original Post
Can anyone give me some tips on developing a 2D Fighting game? I'm not asking for any team members or anything like that, not "Looking to make the best game evar"... etc... Just looking to work on something game-related in my spare time, I love fighting games and they seem to be pretty straightforward when it comes to development. Basically, all I need are some tips to get started. I have some basic C++, C# knowledge and I worked with DirectX and OGL years ago but I don't remember much now. So I'd need any links to some of the better tutorials out there for DX9 and whatnot. I'm looking to make it Sprite-based with some 3D Effects, Controller Support and if I can, port-able. It's more of an experiment to gain knowledge than anything else. Are there any programs I should be looking at specifically for this? And tutorials on how to create sprite animations, 3D effects for games, all that good stuff. It's certainly not the simplest project to start out with, but I've got plenty time on my hands and it's simply for personal use. I figure why not. Edit: I know there's probably engines and such already made for fighting games, but I'm more interested in obtaining the knowledge on how to develop my own from the ground up.