Original Post
Creative Vision, Cooperation Between Leads and Recruiting What You Aren't A large story-based game project such as an RPG requires several Leads/Coordinators because nobody can be good at everything, and even if you were trying to do all the work yourself would be boring and take a really long time. Xenallure has or will eventually have: - Lead Designer/Team Coordinator (Me) - Lead Writer (Me) - Art Coordinator (Me - I wear lots of hats) - Lead Programmer (?) - Music Coordinator (?) - Lead Animator/Cinematics Director (?) - Playtesting Coordinator (?) - Webmaster (?) So, all the roles I can't fill, I obviously must recruit someone else to fill or they won't get done and we won't have a game. But if I can't do it myself, it's probably because I know next to nothing about it, (*cough*programming*cough*) so how do I know what kind of skills to ask for in my help wanted ad, or how to test if a candidate is qualified? If I want the gameplay to work one way, and the lead programmer wants to program it to work a different way, how can I assess whether there are legitimate technical reasons not to do it the way I want, or whether it is just a matter of personal taste? If I weren't the designer or the writer or the art coordinator I would have exactly the same problems with them. Or what if there's a dispute between, say, the animator who wants 3,000 poly models and the programmer who says the game engine can't handle that, and I don't know anything about either technical issue? I know there are no right answers to these questions, but I will have to recruit a lead programmer in about 2 weeks and I don't have a clue how to go about doing that, so any tips you can have to share will be appreciated.