Original Post
Hi I've got a project and it requires that I figure out a decent way to determine the (u, v) for the closest point on a bezier surface to any given point in space. An idea that I'm working on: The points on the surface that are going to be the closest are going to be either a point on one of the edges or an internal point who's normal is collinear with the direction from the surface to the given point. This seems correct to me. So I thought I would see how far I could take that idea analytically. I got this equation: du * ( p - o ) + dv * ( p - o ) = 0 Where du and dv are the partial derivatives of the surface, p is the point on the surface and o is the given point in space. If I expand this I get a cubic equation of two variables (surprise) which looks impossible to solve. Am I on the right track here? I do not want to just tesselate the patch and consider each point but I can't think of any other ideas. Sorry for the long post Any help is much appreciated