Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Tank!Game 2, 3D tank shooter

Started by Brien Shrimp Apr 4, 2005 at 12:52 AM 25 replies 7.3k views
Original Post
Brien Shrimp
Brien Shrimp
Hello everyone. A few months ago I posted a game. I got a lot of good feedback and I've improved the game drastically. Please try it out. It's a simple 3D tank game (hence the title). You need to find the exit to each level. Killing all the enemy tanks will always reveal the exit.

That red ! bar to the left is the warning meter. It goes up as enemies approach. Use it to search and destroy. The Pink bar is Life. Blue is energy. Things I've improved include a weapon system. After you kill a tank, you can pick up its weapon. However, the last weapon you equiped influences the stats of the current weapon you have. For example, if you had Yellow (bouncy bullet) and then you pick up Blue (power shot), you get a weakened Power shot that bounces. I've also included spit-screen 2 player modes you can use if you have a joystick. Other differences include reduced difficulty, more variety of levels, particle effects and more sound effects. I would love to have the old verison of this game to allow you to see the difference, but I dont have the webspace for both. The controls are: WASD moves the tank. The mouse rotates the turret. Left click shoots. Spacebar jumps. Link: Download (3.3 MB) Here's a link to the website if you want to see more screenshots or something. Please tell me what you think, especially if you have a joystick and a friend to play multiplayer with. If it doesn't run on your machine, please tell me as much as possible about it. Thanks!

DMINATOR
DMINATOR
The game looks good, movement is ok , sounds not boring :) , runs pretty fast on my 3 yr old system.

There are some problems though. Killing the enemy is not easy, they are always hiding somewhere :). How about some HUD map with enemy direction on it ? I found one bug also . If I come close to the wall as close as possible, then shoot at it then my HP and energy bars increase more than a max, and stay at that level :)
Alpha_ProgDes
Alpha_ProgDes
Quote:
Original post by DMINATOR
I found one bug also . If I come close to the wall as close as possible, then shoot at it then my HP and energy bars increase more than a max, and stay at that level :)

THAT sir! is not a bug, but a feature [smile]
Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.  
Brien Shrimp
Brien Shrimp
Quote:
Original post by DMINATOR
The game looks good, movement is ok , sounds not boring :) , runs pretty fast on my 3 yr old system.

There are some problems though. Killing the enemy is not easy, they are always hiding somewhere :). How about some HUD map with enemy direction on it ? I found one bug also . If I come close to the wall as close as possible, then shoot at it then my HP and energy bars increase more than a max, and stay at that level :)


I'm glad it ran well on your machine. Mine's also about that old, too. :)

I can't seem to reproduce the bug, however. What color weapon did you have equipped? If you had a bouncy weapon, the bullet that bounces back and hits you will recharge your energy bars even past their max (up to 2x the max). The thing is, they shouldn't stay that way.
DMINATOR
DMINATOR
It was the first weapon - red one . An it works only if tank is as close to the wall as possible, otherwise there is no effect.
WhatEver
WhatEver
Pretty cool! Smooth frame rate and pretty addictive. However, you might want to try making the evil tanks attack when you're close to them. I was having trouble shooting the bastards because they kept running away from me. Also, like any tank game, controling the turret and driving at the same time is kind of difficult.

Good job! Keep up the good work.
crusadingknight
crusadingknight
:\ It crashes every time I load the third level. But it's so addictive, I just keep playing anyway, lol.
RiBi
RiBi
I really would like to play your game but there is a problem. I don't have a sound card and no sound card means no tank game... Is there any way I can play your game without a soundcard? If so, is there any possibilty you will make the game capable of running on machines without a soundcard? 8-)
Brien Shrimp
Brien Shrimp
Thanks everyone for the feedback! The next iteration will have a directional radar (so hunting down the cowardly tanks won't be annoying), a combo/special attack system, and better tank models.

Thanks a lot for pointing out those problems, crusadingknight and RiBi. I will find out what is wrong with the third level and include a "no sound" flag in the settings.

I'll be sure to post again when I'm done with the improvements. Do you think it would be appropriate to make a new thread? Or should I just edit or reply to this one?
RiBi
RiBi
Just reply, but... it is your choice.
Brien Shrimp
Brien Shrimp
Hello again. I'm back with the changes I promised. New player tank models, directional radar, combo system, and a "No sound" option in the settings.txt. Here's a new screenshot.



The red circle around your tank points to the nearest enemy tank. It also changes colors with proximity to that tank. It turns red as enemies approach. Use it to search and destroy.

The combo/special attack system works with those two bars at the right of the screen. The red bar is your combo meter which goes up as you do good things (destroy enemies, make repeated shots, make long shots, bank shots). The Special (blue) bar will go up to meet the combo bar whenever you destroy an enemy tank. That is the only way to get Special. When the Special meter reaches a certain point, you can use your special attack. This is indicated by a ring of color on your tank's gun. Each color combination of tank has its own special attack.

The controls are:
WASD moves the tank. The mouse rotates the turret. Left click shoots. Right click fires your special. Spacebar jumps.

Link: (same as before)
Download (3.2 MB)

Here's a link to the website if you want to see more screenshots or something.

Please tell me what you think, especially if you have a joystick and a friend to play multiplayer with. More info about joysticks/multiplayer in the readme. If it doesn't run on your machine, please tell me as much as possible about it. Thanks!
DMINATOR
DMINATOR
nice :) It is really great to see some major improvements.
Dan Forever
Dan Forever
Great game, unfortunately, I got to the second level, and all the guns seemed to stop working. Not just my own but the enemies as well. I heard the sound, but no bullets appeared. Same for the bad guys :(
fyhuang
fyhuang
[sad]

No Linux version? ...

I tried it on Wine, doesn't even start (missing MSVCP60.dll). Apparently Cedega doesn't do much either (not even an error message).

Those screens look sweet though. Once you get this to work under Linux I would love to give it a spin ;).

Cheers!
- fyhuang [ site ]
Qa303asmGuru
Qa303asmGuru
Just wondered if you had ever checked out BZFlag.
It's a fun tank combat sim that's open source, and available for just about every platform in existance (yes, even Mac OS's).

Check it out if you have the time. It's a small dl and there's always people playing online. Might give you some ideas/inspiration. ;)
RiBi
RiBi
At first, I have to say THANK YOU FOR "No sound" flag. The waiting was worth it :D

Your game reminds me for old good games without super cool graphics but with cool atmosphere and gameplay. You game has it all and rocks!
I made it to level 3 and then stopped playing only because of writing this post ;-) In my opinion, it is the best tank game ever!

Good controls, funny, "No sound" is great and the game won't let you stop play it. GREAT.

[Edited by - RiBi on April 20, 2005 1:25:12 PM]
Brien Shrimp
Brien Shrimp
Quote:
Original post by Qa303asmGuru
Just wondered if you had ever checked out BZFlag.
It's a fun tank combat sim that's open source, and available for just about every platform in existance (yes, even Mac OS's).

Check it out if you have the time. It's a small dl and there's always people playing online. Might give you some ideas/inspiration. ;)


Yes, actually I have played BZflag. And yes, it was a good source of inspiration. I love the game. Though, I think it lacks a lot in style. The gameplay, graphics and sound really clash. What I really like is how widely it is played online. I'm no good at networking yet, so Tank!Game can't aspire to be as great as BZflag.

Dan Forever, I have no idea what could be causing that problem. I'm afraid I can't really do anything about it.

fyhuang, sorry about the lack of a Linux version. I dont run Linux usually and I have yet to learn how to easily compile large projects with it.

To those for whom game runs correctly, I'm glad that the game is enjoyable and that you took the time to tell me so. Thanks to everyone for the feedback! :)

-Brien Smith-Martinez
My work
warhammerdude20
warhammerdude20
Sweet addictive game man!

2 things that are kind of annoying though...

you HAVE to have a joystick to play with 2 players

and the mouse is really hard to use, because i have to drag it then pick it
up and drag it again.

Since you can only move the turret left and right, you would only need 2
buttons, not the whole mouse. That would also let 2 people play without
the joystick.

But that aside, I love the game! can't get past lev 3 though... lol

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.