Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Probability

Started by Gladiator Apr 4, 2005 at 2:44 AM 7 replies 1.9k views
Original Post
Gladiator
Gladiator
I need help with a simple (for those who know) probability problem. A person has purchased 5 of 1000 tickets sold in a certain raffle. To determine the 10 prize winners, 10 tickers are drawn at random and without replacemnt. Compute the probability that this person wins exactly one prize. Thanks in advance!
Nice Coder
Nice Coder
Homework.

From,
Nice coder
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Gladiator
Gladiator
Preparation for midterm. Homework isn't graded and even if it was, SO WHAT?

I'm asking for help not for solution anyway.
Squirm
Squirm
Well, what's the probability that he wins with the first draw? Now, what's the probability that, if he didnt win in the first draw, he wins in the second? Now . . .
Gladiator
Gladiator
5/1000*5/999*5/998*5/997*5/996?

I have no idea really. That's why I'm asking.
Zipster
Zipster
Probability is all about thinking into the problem to see what you're really being asked. In order to win exactly one prize, out of 10 drawings he needs to win 1, but also lose 9. There's one more aspect of this problem you need to figure out before you can actually sit down and compute it (it will be a bit tedious) but you've got a good start I believe. And if you're savvy, you can write out the equation but actually write a computer program to do the calculations for you [wink]
Gladiator
Gladiator
Can you show me how to solve it and explain the reasoning behind it? I UNDERSTAND what you are saying but at the same time it doesn't give me any ideas how to proceed. I have formulas in the book and still I can't decide what to use and how to use it. I'm a complete novice to probabilities (I'm sure it's obvious enough).

The book I'm learning from has no explanations only formulas with brief descriptions. It's more like a reference than a learning aid.

Thanks!
Zipster
Zipster
That was me, sorry.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.