Original Post
I'm currently thinking about what an overview map in a RPG should look like and need some input. The goal I have is making it easy for the player to navigate through indoor environment like dungeons and buildings. The main problem is making the map easy to read and to orientate oneself on it while displaying complex interiors. For example, a building might have many different levels, so how can I make the map easy to navigate through those levels without the player becoming confused? Other questions I have include: Should it be simple to be easily "read"? What should the icons look like? How can I make the make look useful without giving it the feel of a boring blueprint? How should different levels of indoor maps be displayed? Your ideas, suggestions and maybe examples of games tha do this already very well are welcome! Thanks! :)