Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

who likes the breaking vegas series on history channel

Started by corrington_j Apr 25, 2005 at 2:19 AM 9 replies 1.6k views
Original Post
corrington_j
corrington_j
I love the breaking vegas series on the history channel, i just cannot get enough of it. I especially like the ones about counting cards to beat black jack, because that is actually legal, although you will get kicked out. Makes me want to learn to count and give it a try. Anyone else love this series, have a favorite one. I also like the one about the guy who counterfit the slot machine coins, he made nearly exact replicas of coins from like 30 casinos.
Oluseyi
Oluseyi
The card counting episode was somewhat interesting because I have a mild fascination with mathematical systems (note that the author of the system went on to apply his principles to the stock market, allegedly quite successfully). Counterfeiting and cheating have no appeal to me, nor does gambling.

I'm sorry, I must rate Breaking Vegas overall: meh.
LessBread
LessBread
I agree with Oluseyi. I think the narrarator's voice is kind of annoying as well.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Boris Karloff
Boris Karloff
Aw. It's only cheating if you get caught.

It sounds like an interesting show. What else did they cover, besides the card counting and coin faking?
Nein heer du smign. ah open up the nine im heer du shmine
dave
dave
I gamble online, at texas holdem, the only way online poker is cheatable is by two or more players going to a 10 player table and cooperating against the others, happens alot. I dont believe card counting is cheating, u are still playing the game, u just know how to beat it.

ace
Boris Karloff
Boris Karloff
Quote:
Original post by ace_lovegrove
I dont believe card counting is cheating, u are still playing the game, u just know how to beat it.


I think many casino's consider "knowing how to beat the game" to be cheating.

Nein heer du smign. ah open up the nine im heer du shmine
dave
dave
Well casinos just want an excuse to throw you out especially when u are making money from them.

ace
Boris Karloff
Boris Karloff
I'm not disputing that.
Nein heer du smign. ah open up the nine im heer du shmine
Battagline
Battagline
I learned some card counting systems. It seemed to work pretty well, but because I wasn't willing to risk a lot of money, so, it was hard to make a lot of money. The thing I didn't like about the card counting episode, is that it made it sound like if you count cards you will make big money every time. In reality, (they did mention this, but then I felt gave a different impression) counting cards only shifts the advantage in your favor a tiny tiny bit. You have to stay in the game for quite a while for that advantage to add up to anything. Also, since the guy in that episode did that, the casinos have modified their rules to trim the advantage of the card counters even more.
The Frugal Gourmet
The Frugal Gourmet
I enjoyed it a bit .. had a certain vicarious fascination with cheating the system. I love watching the little clever gadgets and techniques people invent.
Co-creator of Star Bandits -- a graphical Science Fiction multiplayer online game, in the style of "Trade Wars'.
corrington_j
corrington_j
if any one is interested in card counting, read bring down the house, the story of the mit blackjack team. They utilized card counting and team play to not get kicked out and take begas for over 3 million. It's a great book.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.