Original Post
What I want to do is add a normal calculation into my terrain editor. The normal won't be recorded, but will be converted to a float modifier for vertex color using a static directional light. In other words, I end up with just a float. What I would like to do is compute the normal of a vertex by using the surrounding vertex positions, rather than computing the normal for a triangle and averaging them out for each vertex. Does that make sense? Is it possible? My vertices are all aligned on a grid. Each vertex is exactly 32 points distance in the x and z (ground) axes from other vertices. The height of each vertex is really the only contributing change in normals. Would you simply start each vertex normal as pointed straight up, then average out the other vertex angles related to it? Like if the vertex to the left is lower than the current, the current normal leans left. Then the same for the right vertex, and so on. Add them all together and renormalize? Any advice?

