Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

some simple graphics

Started by sams0n May 8, 2005 at 6:40 AM 2 replies 1.6k views
Original Post
sams0n
sams0n
I've had a look at the stickies and nothing stood out to me. basically I don't want kick ass 3d graphics - I'm making a top down view game. I just need some verrry simple characters/monsters/buildings that are all viewed from the top, and would like to know where to get started. I don't have a great deal of experience with digital art, so if you could point me to the simplest tool to get the job done that would be sweet, and a tut or something would be cool as well. as I said, all the tuts in the stickies seemed to be about making full blown 3d characters, but please correct me if i'm wrong. cheers, samson.
Jiia
Jiia
Will your models be used in the game, or rendered as sprites?

If sprites, check out Poser. It's cheap, very user-friendly, and requires absolutely no modeling.

If your models will be used in-game instead of rendered to sprites, you'll just have to stick with the articles.
Gyrthok
Gyrthok
I will assume for the moment that your wanting to create 2D pixel artwork of various styles for your overhead game, in which case there are some links in the stickies at the top of this forum, though not many.

Designing Arcade Computer Game Graphics

Sprite And Tileset Creation
Rectangular & Isometric Tiles
Sprite creation & animation
Pixelation (large Sprite Forum)

Using Microsoft Paint or Graphics Gale is good if your going for a more traditional sprite look, though depending on what your doing you could try using Photoshop.

Now if you wanted to make cool looking characters that look 3D but aren't 3D, then you'd have to model a full 3D character in various poses and take a few snap shots, using those images. ;D
tonyg
tonyg
Maybe WorldCreator? 1.5 is freeware so you could give it a go.
http://www.inet2inet.com/Main/Main.htm
I use Poser and render to 2D animation images.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.