Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Python high level network library?

Started by stefu May 21, 2005 at 4:10 AM 4 replies 4.6k views
Original Post
stefu
stefu
Does there exist one, like directlpay, for python?
Kylotan
Kylotan
I don't think there is a game-oriented one. Bear in mind that even low level sockets in Python are really easy though. What functionality in particular do you want? (Also bear in mind that MS are phasing out Winsock anyway.)
PnP Bios
PnP Bios
Quote:
Original post by Kylotan
I don't think there is a game-oriented one. Bear in mind that even low level sockets in Python are really easy though. What functionality in particular do you want? (Also bear in mind that MS are phasing out Winsock anyway.)


What are they replacing it with?
stefu
stefu
Quote:
Original post by Kylotan
I don't think there is a game-oriented one. Bear in mind that even low level sockets in Python are really easy though. What functionality in particular do you want?

Player info and tracking system, handling joining, leaving, errors, etc. That would be fantastic, leaving me to do only game essential things.

I do ot know yet what I will be doing, but I have the time and simple Python opengl multiplayer game is a good idea.
Kylotan
Kylotan
PnP Bios, I made a mistake in the above post - of course, I meant to say they are phasing out DirectPlay and asking you to use Winsock. Dumb me. :)

stefu, I don't think what you want exists. However most of it would really be easy to write in Python. You can go down the usual socket/select route which should work fine, or perhaps you could try using the Twisted framework for event-driven networking.
PnP Bios
PnP Bios
Quote:
Original post by Kylotan
PnP Bios, I made a mistake in the above post - of course, I meant to say they are phasing out DirectPlay and asking you to use Winsock. Dumb me. :)

stefu, I don't think what you want exists. However most of it would really be easy to write in Python. You can go down the usual socket/select route which should work fine, or perhaps you could try using the Twisted framework for event-driven networking.


Ok, I knew winsock was getting old, but... you had me scared there for a second.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.