Original Post
On the GBC, Nintendo released "Super Mario Bros. DX," a truely amazing port and expansion of the original classic platformer. Not only did it include extra maps, but it also included a neat mini-game in which you raced a ghosty through the levels of the game. A few thoughts: Technical Issues: 1.) The engine This could only be done with SMB or a completely faithful clone. SMB's control and solid feel are perfect for the minigame. The only other game to come close would be Sonic the Hedgehog, and I always felt that was much too loose, swimmy, and uncontrollable. Graphically, anything can be done, but control-wise I think it should remain faithful to the SMB series, if only because it's time-tested, familiar, and extremely accesible. In the original SMB, you held the B button down to make Mario run; by default he walked. Should the players constantly run? I don't see much point to walking in this case. In fact, I don't recall a single time in the original games in which I did NOT run, even later in SMB3 with the on-rails levels. However, if playing with a game pad, I can't say that not pressing the B button would feel natural. 2.) Expansion The first thing that springs to mind is multiplay. In fact, it seems natural that this would be the exclusive mode of such a small and simple game, racing against an AI character would get old after a while. Gameplay: 1.) Secondary Goals SMBDX mixed things up by adding challenges such as collecting 5 gold coins during the race. Perhaps there could be an alternate "catch the flag" goal for this version. 2.) Courses The game also included all 32 courses plus some brand new courses for racing. I don't think so many courses is feasible, however, a user friendly course editor included with the game would be a nice feature. Any thoughts on powerups or upgrades? 3.) Multiplay modes The original gameplay was one-on-one. Obviously it works very well and should remain. What about some other modes, like a relay race with a partner, perhaps (2-on-2)? Or a mass dash, with 8 or even 16 people? 4.) Powerups and Upgrades Powerups would come during the race and be temporary enhancements to the player (run through walls, super speed, etc). Upgrades would be tuneups that are applied before the race that permanently affect the player, in the form of different types of shoes. Would such features break the KISS ideology of SMB? Miscellaneous features: 1.) Market If upgrades do get included, should players be able to trade them, creating a free market? Again, I'm afraid this might break the simple nature of the original concept. 2.) Avatars Players love to be unique in the game. I don't think the appearance of the character should be used in any way to define performance enhancements, but it would be fun to have different sized characters, different costumes, etc. 3.) "Useless" upgrades Again, if upgrades get included, would players appreciate things like "flaming shoes," shoes that don't do anything other than leave a trail of fire behind the running character? Maybe a cape that flaps in the wind. Just little, unique, eye-candy elements. and now, I open the floor to discussion on these and original ideas.