Original Post
I wasn't sure where to put this, but here seems appropriate. I'm considering putting together a turn-based web game. I am thinking of a fat-client at some point, but I want it to have a workable browser-based interface as well. I have a loose plan for staged delivery of game functionality and clearly I want to build up a community of people to play the game as it develops. In order to do this, I need to give them access for free, at least until there is something worth even a token payment and I would prefer not to have to charge at all. What I am trying to work out are the costs of hosting and the potential for offsetting those costs. If we consider a game that requires some significant DB processing as well as delivery of DB-driven content, with say 50-100 concurrent users, what sort of hosting is likely to be required and how much is it likely to cost? Considering the same site, what are the realistic opportunities to get some money back via advertising or affiliate deals? I'm sure I'm not giving enough info, so feel free to point out where I need to be more concrete. This is all new to me, so any help is welcome.