Advertisement

graphic technology question

Started by June 22, 2005 12:45 PM
31 comments, last by d000hg 19 years, 2 months ago
Quote: Original post by mikeman
That's a bit unfair though for OpenGL devvers, the limit is too low. DirectX minimum requirement is 9.0, and for OpenGL is 1.1,ie unextended(not even multitexturing,heck not even clamp_to_edge modes).

He's talking about the shader model, not the OpenGL version.

[Edited by - Sneftel on June 23, 2005 7:33:59 PM]
Is this saying we have to use DX9? I don't think so but these people are confusing me... I could use the Win32 GUI if I wanted, or DX3 right?
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by d000hg
Is this saying we have to use DX9?
No.

Quote: I could use the Win32 GUI if I wanted, or DX3 right?

Yes.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote: Original post by skittleo
I would expect a fair number of people to use DirectX 8 too, because VC++ 6 became no longer usable in 9.

Actually, IIRC it was usable until the December 2004 release (you can use October just fine if you pick up the extras package).

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Good point. I remember that being the case.

I had trouble getting my programs to run on other machines when they were compiled with Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2. As a matter of fact, they would not run at all because "the local machine settings have been changed," IIRC. Have you ever seen this?

The VS2005 beta is really not intended for production-level use. I wouldn't recommend using it for the 4e4 project as such, and neither would Microsoft.

The compo will most likely be over before the full version is released.

Niko Suni

Although dx9 is a requirement, i don't see why not use dx 8.1, because this version was used with geforce2's generation cards. and, from what i see, only the graphics has changed in a more radical way in dx9. Anyway, that's not my domain :). i'll stick to opengl. Has anyone used ogre3d till now? Because i'm curious about it's performance. It has very nice features and it's very easy to use and a lot of support, but i don't know about it's performance. Still it has a bug (even in it's latest version) when i'm using opengl to render terrain a lot of holes appear between terrain squares. What do you know about Crystal space. Anyone can make a comparision between these to engines (the graphics part, because i've heard crystal is a full game engine)?
Advertisement
Nik02-

Thanks man. I guess I'll code on trials of VC++ 2003. Either that, or wait until VC++ Express comes out.

If you use standard coding practices, you could technically write most of the code using the beta. It's only during the deployment phase when you'd get serious problems with it, if the beta IDE works for you otherwise.

Also, check that the beta license allows for other types of development than testing, if you choose to use VS2005 beta.

I heard that the express packages should launch at approximately same time as the professional and team suites - if this is the case, the express edition may not work for you either for this project. I'm not sure if I can comment on the release schedule more accurately due to the NDA I've signed.

Anyway, good luck with the competition! Expect strong rivalry from yours truly [wink]

Niko Suni

Quote: Original post by meeshoo
Although dx9 is a requirement, i don't see why not use dx 8.1, because this version was used with geforce2's generation cards.

Geforce 2-generation cards run just fine with DirectX 9, it's just that they can't use the new features of D3D9 as compared to D3D8. Direct3D 9 is easier to use than Direct3D 8, so it isn't a disadvantage for anyone (except if you are forced to develop with Win98).

Niko Suni

Quote: Original post by meeshoo
Although dx9 is a requirement

Please people, stop deciding that DX9 is a requirement. Go back and read the contest page. It says "Suggested Minimum System Requirements". That means when you make your game, it should be able to run on the described hardware/software setup in order to be judged. If your game came in a retail box, you would find those specs (or lower) listed as the "minimum system requirements" to run.
Aye. You can always target a lower minimum spec than what we described - you're only taking risks if you target something higher than it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement