Advertisement

[4E4] Gamedev.net media in game - Ideas and submissions for a 4E4 Logo

Started by June 24, 2005 05:23 PM
46 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 2 months ago
EDIT: Change title from "[4E4] Use of Gamedev.net media in game" Synopsis: Staff have kindly linked to a decent quality Gamedev logo here: http://www.gamedev.net/_staff/mike/gdprint_small.png Thread now open for submissions of free-to-use (but credited) 4E4 logos for any of you that don't or can't enter themselves, or just want to share your ideas, and are handy with an image editor. Alway nice to see your stuff used after all! [smile] Original post:
Quote: Hi, I know the rules say that Gamedev.net can use entries for 4E4 in advertising yadda yadda yadda - but I was wondering about the other way around? Could we put things like a big splash screen in the game saying "for Gamedev.net 4E4" or whatever? Perhaps use the gamedev logo too? I expect that would be alright if somewhere in the game there was something like "not affiliated with gamedev.net", right?
[Edited by - paulecoyote on June 27, 2005 9:49:26 AM]
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Alternatively,

But yeah, I'd assume so too, though I guess you'd need permission to use it if you wanted to sell it. (that's my understanding of it at least)
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Mushu
Alternatively,

But yeah, I'd assume so too, though I guess you'd need permission to use it if you wanted to sell it. (that's my understanding of it at least)

Well there wouldn't be any point trying to sell the contest entry as is, because everyone will be able to download it and play it from the site anyway for free. Any further edition of a game I would expect not to have gamedev stuff embedded in their without permission or whatever because then that does become something more then just an entry in to a competition.

I just thought it would be pretty cool to do something with the Gamedev media in an entry for the competition [smile]
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Sure, have at it. As long as you don't use us in a slanderous manner we're fine with it.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Quote: Original post by Khawk
Sure, have at it. As long as you don't use us in a slanderous manner we're fine with it.

kills puppies!!!

Ho HO!
Let me clarify.. I don't want everyone to think they can use our logos and trademarks without any degree of accountability.

We've worked very hard to establish the GameDev.net brand, so I'm going to ask that anyone who wishes to use the brand in their entry to follow these rules:

1. Anywhere you reference GameDev.net, you may not give the perception that we are giving an official endorsement to your entry. For instance, in a title screen you could have "My Game, developed by John Smith, an entry for GameDev.net's Four Elements IV Contest"; but you could not have "My Game for GameDev.net's Four Elements IV Contest".

2. You can use our name and logo in your contest entry, but if you decide to distribute the game elsewhere then you cannot include our name and logo without getting express permission from us to do so.

I will update the contest page with this information soon.

Admin for GameDev.net.

Advertisement
thanks!

So if we can use it, are there higher quality versions of logos etc available, or it is just a case of leaching off the website? The website version of the logo is a 8 bit colour indexed gif... and you can tell by looking at it (esp on the G coin bit at the begining).

So is there a png or lossless version of it, or the G coin on its own?

[Edited by - paulecoyote on June 25, 2005 3:48:42 AM]
... I mean if we are going to optionally have GDNet stuff in our games, it may as well look as good as possible [grin]
Hmm, perhaps we should see about producing an official 4E4 logo you guys could use...

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Here ya go guys:

gdprint_small.png

---
Michael Tanczos

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement