Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Question about books to read

Started by Niux Jul 5, 2005 at 2:33 PM 7 replies 1.3k views
Original Post
Niux
Niux
Hi ! im new to game programming and c++ (know some VB, thats all) and now im reading Beginning C++ Game programming, but my question is, where to go aften that( I want to program 3D games)?! 1) what should I use OpenGL, D3D, Directx 9 ?! 2) i have no knowlage about 3d programs like 3ds max etc., is that needed? 2.1) is there a book that includes 3d programming with directx9 etc. and a 3d program? any help would be great thx, Niux
Falling Sky
Falling Sky
Prob be best to learn SDL first, just go read some tutorials or you can buy teh book, Focus on SDL if you like.

Then OpenGL Game Programming is a really good book to learn opengl
DONT LET THEM DISCRIMINATE! BRING BACK THE BLACK!
Jehsup
Jehsup
1. OpenGL -

a) OpenGL Game Programming
b) Get Free Online OpenGL "Redbook" and code samples (opengl.org)
c) Nehe.gamedev.net tutorials
d) UltimateGameProgramming.com tutorials

DirectX/D3D - Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0

2. I think it is vital for any 3D programmer to have a good knowledge of what is involved in the art creation process. I would recommend buying Milkshape3d (about $25 USD) and downloading GIMP (Free Photoshop like painter program). There are tons of resources for each. Build some models and textures, and map them.

3. "3D Game Engine Programming" walks you through the construction of a 3D engine (eventually an entire 3D FPS game). The author uses Milkshape and even provides a plugin for converting your Milkshape models (including animations) into the engine's proprietary internal format. I think this is what you are looking for.

Hope That Helps.

J
Will F
Will F
Quote:
Original post by Niux
2) i have no knowlage about 3d programs like 3ds max etc., is that needed?


If you want to make models yourself you'll need to learn how to use something like 3ds max. I'd suggest starting with Blender. It's free and pretty powerful - just make sure to find some tutorials on their site to get started.

You will probably need to learn about the .3ds format so that you can load models in that format - take a look at lib3ds at some point in the future.
Glak
Glak
Get "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup, the creator of C++. Also I don't have it but I hear that "Accelerated C++" is very good.
KittyRa
KittyRa
SDL and DirectX is good! However, I think DirectX is harder to learn (in general) than openGL, but I don't do OpenGL so I wouldn't know.


DirectX rules!
I don't understand why Microsoft made DirectDraw legacy. :(
F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
xtremeprog05
xtremeprog05
I suggest that you first have a good grip on c++ before you get into graphics.
It is probably best to learn SDL because it is very easy (my opinion) and is also portable. If you want to make 3d apps later learn opengl.

some good sdl tutorials: Cone3d and libsdl


hope this helps

printf("C++ 4 Lifen");

I'm a GL guy.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.