Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

3d meets 2d simplicty?

Started by Ketchaval Aug 24, 2005 at 12:06 PM 5 replies 2k views
Original Post
Ketchaval
Ketchaval
What I would like to see is more games that combine the extra depth (or exploration that 3d games provides with the easy accessibility of 2d games (like Donkey Kong - controls were left, right, climb, descend and jump) This is a response to seeing the difficulty that some of my friends have when I give them a '3d platform' game to play, and they can't master the joystick directions (too fine and fiddly to get right)or the double-jump. ** Double-jumping could be made easier by designing the levels to be less pixel-perfect.
MarcusLM
MarcusLM
I agree. I have always thought it would be cool if someone took older side-scrollers and updated them (using 3d graphics, effects, lighting, sound) but kept the great simplistic gameplay.

It just seems every game these days tends to be so complicated. They are full of changing camera angles (bad ones a lot of times), long cinematics, and complex controls.

Marcus
Kest
Kest
Nearly all 3D fighters as well.

Some over-the-shoulder games are getting better though.
Will F
Will F
Quote:
Original post by MarcusLM
I agree. I have always thought it would be cool if someone took older side-scrollers and updated them (using 3d graphics, effects, lighting, sound) but kept the great simplistic gameplay.


Might not be what you're thinking of, but check out the Viewtiful Joe games. Essentially a 2D side scroller with some 3D effects.
Ketchaval
Ketchaval
Quote:
Original post by MarcusLM
I agree. I have always thought it would be cool if someone took older side-scrollers and updated them (using 3d graphics, effects, lighting, sound) but kept the great simplistic gameplay.

Marcus


Yes, I dream that Nintendo (or someone will make a brilliant platformer with Graphics that rival Paper Mario:TYD, (which I've only seen screenshots of admittedly). It would be soo cool to see this done properly.

Maybe even using the Zelda:WW engine and turning it on its side so that they could get closer to / show more of the level.
Shingtime
Shingtime
"New Super Mario Bros" for ds. its pretty much what you want.

similarly, the 2d morph-ball aspects of metroid prime, and especially metroid prime 2, are complete throw-backs to the morphball puzzles of 2d metroid games (and are just awesome in general). (course the best part of those games were the speed boost puzzles, and i have no clue how that would be possible in 3d)

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.