Original Post
Hi- i'm working on a little pet project to familiarise myself with various physics techniques. Currently i'm trying to model a fixed-wing aircraft reasonably accurately: -I have an accurate gravity constant -I apply the force from the single propeller in the direction of the canopy -I apply wing lift force in the direction of the wing-normal dependant on air-speed towards the canopy Now these are all pretty obvious I know, but there is another large force acting on a simple aircraft simulation - the one which makes an aircraft change direction very quickly when changing orientation (it doesn't "slide" through the air at all). At the moment I'm modelling this by applying a large force, again in the direction of the wing-normal (straight up from the wing-plane-surface). This force is basically scaled by the difference between the airplane's direction, and that of the current speed (the drag, in other words). This works pretty well mind, but it is by no means perfect! I get some pretty strange behaviour and it doesn't act quite like a real aircraft might... I would really appreciate some input into the various forces acting on such an object - and the direction these forces are acting. Thanks for reading all this