Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

I need some opinions on this...

Started by Laz Sep 8, 2005 at 4:29 PM 11 replies 2.2k views
Original Post
Laz
Laz
Okay so for the past few years I've been using Lameware as my "thing." I wouldn't call it a company, per se, asit's not a company, it's just what I would use when I released games. Lately, I've been thinking of changing that. I also own packetfrag.com and I've been seriously contemplating switching from releasing my games under Lameware to releasing them under Packetfrag. Now, if you all could be so generous to give me your thoughts and opinions on the matter, it would be much appreciated. So far, it's been pretty unanimous to switch to Packetfrag. For reasons such as, it doesn't sound as lame, or, packetfrag is more confident sounding... so what do you all think?
nes8bit
nes8bit
Yeah...that would be a ficticious name. I think "lameware" has kind of a negative connotation which would probably be an issue for investors more than it would be for customers. I'm pretty sure you aren't anticipating growth that would require outside owners so it should be fine. I'm using "Hopeless Productions" for a post processing service that I may or may not be working on this summer. The name might work to our advantage since our target market is film students. (Film students are weird ...shh) ;)
Evil Steve
Evil Steve
Packetfrag definitely sounds better IMO. Lameware isn't bad per se, but I wouldn't like to release any games or anything under that name. It doesn't sound like a "professional" name for a site (I'm one to talk, my site/"company" is called Druinksoft :P)
adamjon858
adamjon858
Quote:
Original post by Laz
Okay so for the past few years I've been using Lameware as my "thing." I wouldn't call it a company, per se, asit's not a company, it's just what I would use when I released games.

Lately, I've been thinking of changing that. I also own packetfrag.com and I've been seriously contemplating switching from releasing my games under Lameware to releasing them under Packetfrag.

Now, if you all could be so generous to give me your thoughts and opinions on the matter, it would be much appreciated.

So far, it's been pretty unanimous to switch to Packetfrag. For reasons such as, it doesn't sound as lame, or, packetfrag is more confident sounding... so what do you all think?


PacketFrag...Lameware is just...lame.

If con is the opposite of pro what is the oppisite of congress?
Mercury
Mercury
I agree with the others, PacketFrag is most definitely vastly superior to LameWare.

Truth.
Benjamin Heath
Benjamin Heath
From an investor's standpoint, I'd assume LameWare has more of an attitude even if it's less "confident", but PacketFrag still sounds pretty weird. Any other options?
Welshy
Welshy
PacketFrag sounds more like a server provider for counterstrike, so if it's just the two then id go for Lameware as it sounds more like a software brand.

Though, to be completely honest i wouldnt release my software under that name either, try and get some more names on the table before choosing one
pinacolada
pinacolada
I don't know, I kinda like Lameware, it's cute.

The problem is, there's a bazgillion companies named xxxxware or yyyysoft or whatever, and they're all trying to be clever, so the end result is that any name like this will just come off as generic, undistinctive and definitely unclever. So I would pick Packetfrag, as it's more interesting and distinctive.
Mushu
Mushu
Quote:
Original post by Toolmaker
Yes

tee hee

(can I be CEO?)
DrewGreen
DrewGreen
Hmm. kind of like postcardware, except you can say "send me some lame if you like the game". That's a neat catchphrase if I don't say so myself :)
"I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Frank Herbert, DuneMy slice of the web
Laz
Laz
Well keep in mind that I'm not trying to be professional and start a company. It's just a name I want to release my games under for shits n giggles.

And no, Lameware is not a rip off of LimeWire as I had it long before limewire was a thought in someone's mind.

It looks like the general concensus is to use packetfrag, so I suppose I will do that. I appreciate everyone's input on the matter. ratings+ for all who helped.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.