Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

dos path

Started by atomic_west Sep 10, 2005 at 8:11 PM 8 replies 1.7k views
Original Post
atomic_west
atomic_west
could some one explane how to get a DOS program on my DOS path so i dont have to go through the all the files to get there. The path is C:\nasm\nasmide\nasmide thanks
Cibressus
Cibressus
If you don't know how to use a command prompt and your trying to learn ASM, you need to spend a few more years learning how to use computers. unless you grew up on unix, if you did, it's the same way.
dave
dave
I'm not sure what you mean by "on my path", you can simply navigate to its directory in one CD call.

Can you explain please?

ace
Mistro
Mistro
Well if your doing this on the prompt itself, just typeing "cd nasm\nasmide\nasmide" without the quotes of course, would go directly there (assuming your at the root)

If your talking about batch files, then typing the exact same thing in the batch file and running it would yeild the same results. Although there would be no real reason to do just that one instruction in a batch file...
______________________TradeMark Designs
dave
dave
Quote:
Original post by Roboguy
Quote:
Original post by ace_lovegrove
I'm not sure what you mean by "on my path", you can simply navigate to its directory in one CD call.

Can you explain please?

ace


He is probably referring to the PATH enviroment variable.


Well if that is the case it is still just a CD call. I think there is a setenv() function in the linux environment, not sure though.

ace
stylin
stylin
Quote:
Original post by atomic_west
could some one explane how to get a DOS program on my DOS path so i dont have to go through the all the files to get there. The path is C:\nasm\nasmide\nasmide
thanks

Just add it to your PATH environment variable. This doesn't change the current (working) directory though, it will just run the program from the current directory, which may have unexpected results.

IIRC, you can type set /? from the command prompt to learn how to do this.
:stylin: "Make games, not war." "...if you're doing this to learn then just study a modern C++ compiler's implementation." -snk_kid
jfclavette
jfclavette
Type PATH, copy it, append the directory, and type PATH=[the old path][the one to add] I'm not to sure this is permanent however.

Alternatively, right click My Computer-> Advanced ->Environment variables and edit it.
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
stylin
stylin
Quote:
Original post by xMcBaiNx
I'm not to sure this is permanent however.

autoexec.bat
:stylin: "Make games, not war." "...if you're doing this to learn then just study a modern C++ compiler's implementation." -snk_kid

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.