Original Post
Yes, this is for a homework assignment, so I'll be upfront about it. I'm not looking for an answer. The assignment is to prove the limit as n goes to infinity of F_(n+1) / F_n exists (where F_n is the nth Fibonacci number.) I already have a proof for this, which depends on my hypothesis that: The limit as n goes to infinity of x_n exists if the limit as n approaches infinity of |x_n - x_(n-1)| = 0, and x_n is bounded (above and below). This seems perfectly logical to me, but I'm afraid without a proof or at least a statement as to why it works, my teacher will dismiss it as a flawed proof. In two cases (where x_n increases for n>k and x_n decreases for n>k), there's a theorem I can refer to. But for the third case, in which x_n neither always increases nor always decreases, how do I go about proving it? Oh, and if someone could show me a counter-example to save me a lot of time trying to figure out if it's true or not, please, show me. ;)