Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Is 3DGameStudio worth the $$

Started by chronicle17 Sep 29, 2005 at 2:51 PM 3 replies 1.7k views
Original Post
chronicle17
chronicle17
So as I was perusing the NET, I found www.3dgamestudio.com. Some of the screenshots from the games look pretty good. I was just wondering what other people thought of it. Is it worth the money? Or would I be better off buying the Torque engine and figuring everything out myself? If you've used 3dgamestudio, what was your impression of it? Thanks in advance Phil
darkzim
darkzim
I used 3D Gamestudio in the A5 version days -- the current version is A6 I beleive.

Basicly what I found out is that in order to get your games to look like those screens, you have to pay lots of $$$ for the commercial/pro edition. It was pretty easy to make games though, and I got a lot of experience before moving on to C++.

Although I havn't tried Torque, I would say that since you get the full version for one price, you should go with that. I myself would never break from C++ back to 3D gamestudio.
---------------------------------darkzim
chronicle17
chronicle17
Today I checked out the Torque engine. It looks like it comes with everything I need. Texture editor, level editor, model editor. I am going to download the 2D trial (since that is my immediate focus) and go from there.

If anybody else has advice, for or against Torque; OR for or against 3DGameStudio A6, please post.

Thanks

Phil
Roboguy
Roboguy
Quote:
Original post by chronicle17
Today I checked out the Torque engine. It looks like it comes with everything I need. Texture editor, level editor, model editor. I am going to download the 2D trial (since that is my immediate focus) and go from there.

If anybody else has advice, for or against Torque; OR for or against 3DGameStudio A6, please post.

Thanks

Phil


If you haven't already, you will need to learn C++ to use Torque.
chronicle17
chronicle17
I do know C++. I started using it 7 years ago.

I just tried to download the 2D engine demo, but found out that there is no demo of it. I think I am just going to drop the $100 on it. If it isn't what I was looking for, no harm no foul.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.