Original Post
How about making an RPG where the aim of the game is to be(come) the evil overlord / destroyer / conqueror. How would you make an RPG where the aim was to maintain power and be evil?
Quote:
Original post by Trapper Zoid
It depends entirely on your definition of "evil". If, like most games, you define evil to be along the lines of the moustache-twirling black caped tying-maidens-to-railroad-tracks variety, then the usual path of just acting like a complete bastard is typical; this is what was done in Knights of the Old Republic, and most people tended to like that.
However, I tend to dislike that kind of thing, because at its core it's stupid, especially if you are trying to maintain a positon of power. No-one trusts a back-stabber who is often more of a menace to his friends than his enemies. Instead to be a true ruler with an slightly evil bent I'd prefer to be totally Machievellian; skillfully manipulating others into doing my bidding. Under this scheme, the ruler might even appear to be nice, kissing babies and generally trying to make people happy, but in this case the motives are different from a "good" character; the ruler isn't doing it to make people happy, the ruler is doing it to stay in power.
Quote:
Original post by VopiskSo it's a lot like the President of the United States is what you're saying?
Quote:
I remember a short story, I think it was in the DragonLance universe, where a dragon discuised himself as a dragonslayer every few months, went into town to hire the half-dozen most powerful warriors, and then led them into a trap and killed them
Quote:
Original post by Kest
Come on, there's no such thing as evil.
Quote:
Why kill when beating the crap out of them hurts them even more?
Quote:
So instead of making an evil character, why not make a realistic one?
Quote:
If you would rather actually impliment a realistically 'evil' character. I suppose a coward who hates challenges and has no honor might work. But I would hate to play as such a loser :D
Quote:
Original post by Spoonbender Quote:
Original post by Kest
Come on, there's no such thing as evil.
In games there is. Just like in movies and books.
Quote:
Quote:
Why kill when beating the crap out of them hurts them even more?
Are you saying that's what a good person would do? Choose the option that leaves them alive, and hurts them even more? Sounds evil to me.
Quote:
Quote:
So instead of making an evil character, why not make a realistic one?
I might be grasping at straws here, but it could be because he's not out to make a Reality(tm) Simulator.
Sometimes, evil people make good stories. Or are fun to play. That means they can be used in games, even if they are not "realistic".
Quote:
Quote:
If you would rather actually impliment a realistically 'evil' character. I suppose a coward who hates challenges and has no honor might work. But I would hate to play as such a loser :D
You just asked the OP to put such a loser into the game, because an evil person was unrealistic. Make up your mind [lol]
Quote:
Original post by dalep
I think what Kest is saying is "Evil" is a property of actions and their results, not of motives or of a person. If a person's actions consistantly produce evil results, one might figuratively call that person evil.
Quote:
Kest's vampire, for example, can only survive by destroying the lives of others and has decided that he's willing to do it. I suggest that this is unethical - the inverse of noble sacrifice.
Quote:
And that it is only possible for an individual lacking any ethical restraints. And the results are evil and therefor the vampire is, firguratively at least, evil himself.
This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.
With your permission, GameDev.net uses analytics cookies to understand how people use the platform. You can accept analytics or continue with necessary cookies only. Learn more