Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Pulling out of 4E

Started by nes8bit Oct 14, 2005 at 7:26 PM 28 replies 4.7k views
Original Post
nes8bit
nes8bit
It looks like my team will not be entering Four Elements this year. After 6 months of continuous work, our project has come very close to completion. However, complications have occured this month which will prevent us from entering 4E. So good luck to everyone else who is entering and I look forward to seeing your entries. ^_^
ViLiO
ViLiO
Sorry to hear that [depressed]

Are you going to cancel your project altogether or continue on and release it at a later date? If you are stopping altogether, you could show us all how far you got? [grin]

Regards,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
Oluseyi
Oluseyi
Crap. I was really looking forward to seeing proof of you being productive again, mostly so others can stop using you as an excuse for aberrant behavior.
tgraupmann
tgraupmann
All talk and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Decided to go commercial eh. I bet you could win with your concept art.
*News tagenigma.com is my new domain.
nes8bit
nes8bit
My project creid as a I delete it. ; It was so sad. I almost creid when I hit the delete + enter key. I wanted to die .i I felt so bad. ;(


I'm sorry Fallene Elements @2. i'll ressurect you someday. :( I love you. :'(



I tw was wa a winining project I guarantee yoyuou. you. I already erased it . Im'm so sad. Im I miss it. :'(.




I'm so sorry everybody. i i must start another poject. I mist start another thing. I want to just roll over naand br sad. I' msorry. :(


;'9

sad no siagnature i can't see what I'm typing so i'm clsoing my eyes
nes8bit
nes8bit
I'm so sosrry my baby. I love you. I wihs it never had to come to tihis beauca because I love yhou byou I'm sorrrry I'm my head is sppinning I'm gonng athreow up
RAZORUNREAL
RAZORUNREAL
You deleted it?! Why on earth...
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
Kambiz
Kambiz
As I know deleting a file is really hard! Even if you overwrite the data 3 times or more there are ways to get them back.
Selsesstissan
Selsesstissan
Friends don't let friends code drunk.

And on a serious note... Bull... I'll call that bluff:)
pi_equals_3
pi_equals_3
Quote:
Original post by Selsesstissan
And on a serious note... Bull... I'll call that bluff:)


I'm with you on that. I wouldn't be surprised if this was just an attempt to trick everyone into taking it easy because their biggest competition dropped out.
Game Developer 1
Game Developer 1
Well, my team is dropping out too. We ran out of time and the maximum system requirements for the contest are too low. We are still developing, and will have screens in the near future, but a full demo would be just too much to handle right now.
AnonymousPosterChild
AnonymousPosterChild
Wimps. I've got no chance of even making a playable DEMO and I'm still in.
With love, AnonymousPosterChild
Xiachunyi
Xiachunyi
Sad to see you drop out Nes8bit and Game Developer 1.

I am dropping out as well because of time since I have not touched my project at all in the last couple of weeks.
nes8bit
nes8bit
Oh my god that was the absolutely drukenest post I've made. I don't even know wtf I wrote, but anyway...

The project won't be released as a demo or in its incomplete form. The actual map data for the game is somewhat valuable to the local thriving downtown real estate market due to its accuracy and size (5 ft deviation, 3 square miles modeled), but even then I'm not sure if I'll release it. (Lots of skyscrapers are being built)

Anyway, to answer another question the project was meant to be a commecial project. The contest was going to be market testing and proof of concept. If we got enough positive reviews, then I could have written it into the market analysis for the business plan. So the project did go beyond the scope of 4E. Basically we just wanted to prove that A) it can be done and B) that it yields positive results. What about profit you ask?

Basically there are 5 sources of revenue for the project:
1) Product Placment - T-shirts that the characters wore, businesses that want to be advertised that are in the game, local artists, etc.
2) Advertising for local business on the website
3) Selling the game (of course)
4) Selling products in the game on the website - similar to product placement
5) Real Estate - Selling the 3d san diego to skyscraper real estate companies

And in case you were wondering, we were actually going to give the prize away after we won it. Thats how serious the project was in comparison to it being a simple contest entry.

Anyway I got plastered last night in mexico in memory of my project. For all you skeptics out there, I did delete it, but I backed it up to DVD. However, the DVD I backed it up to failed and I can't access the files on it. So basically the project is gone for good.
d000hg
d000hg
Were you the only coder - not another team member with it. And what are the odds of you deleting it all (and it won't come back) AND a DVD failing. Smells suspicious..

But anyway, there must be a binary and resources you could show off?
nes8bit
nes8bit
I don't code. -_-

Anyway since you ask I'll tell you what happened. I actually was able to recover the source files with ISO buster. This only means its going straight to a reliable backup though. And that means I can sell my map to the local real estate market. [rolleyes] The repository was untouched and I can reverse engineer the maps. In fact thats what we did. I might post a video of the map or something, but the game itself will never see daylight.
Moe
Moe
Well, I am still not 100% convinced that you are indeed pulling out. Either way, a video of the map(s) would be cool.
nes8bit
nes8bit
Well for those of you who wanted me to finish the game got your wish. When I told everyone that we were pulling out indefinitely, a surprising amount of people came out of nowhere and requested that the game still get completed. Even some GDNet Staff here had mentioned it to me that people were interested in seeing Fallen Elements come to life. The game takes place on Christmas Eve so expect to see it released around december.

And keep an eye on the site if you're interested.

Website: Fallen Elements: Communism Comes to Town

With all that said, thanks for all the support.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.