Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

[java] Try out this nice puzzle games

Started by role Oct 21, 2005 at 8:22 PM 2 replies 1.2k views
Original Post
role
role
Another new complete game developed using GTGE game library: Check it out here: http://www.fujeyla-studio.com/mindyablox/ Very addictive if you understand how to play it :D Another puzzle game: Applet: http://games.dallasvrtours.com/rockblocks.htm Both games come with auto generated level, thus you can challenge as many levels as you can. Comments, feedback are really appreciated.
Enselic
Enselic
MindYaBlox
I like the fresh puzzle idea and the groovy music!
I think a pros and cons list will fit here:

    Pros


  • Really wellmade and shiny graphics. Even though the game mechanics are pretty basic, the game looks and feels great!

  • Unlimited number of levels (in practical). I love games with unlimited number of levels. Ahh, I remember the old days. The classic Worms for DOS still owns. If you havn't played the level "Thomas" go do it now.

  • The game is crossplatform [wink]

  • Cons


  • Anyone who beats it on a highscore list are worthy of stating his name [smile]

  • Once you have figured out how to think, there's not much challange left. I think that the puzzles genre is the only genre to gain from complexity. MindYaBlox would be more challanging if it would have a more complex gameplay. Maybe something in line with adding more colors and having more complex "flip-templates".





Rockblocks
Now we're talking challange!

Another game with a cool puzzle concept. If you'd mix Rockblocks gameplay with MindYaBlocks graphics and music: voila, das über puzzle game.



Conclusion
You have the skills to make great graphics and music, and you have the skills for a challanging puzzlegame, you only needs to use the skills on a single game!
role
role
Thanks for the feedback Enselic.
It seems you haven't play MindYaBlox up to level 25, the puzzle is getting harder start from level 25.
Enselic
Enselic
Nope, I stoped playing at lvl 19.

Hey! It felt like a completly diffrent game after level 25. That kind of levels should really come a lot earlier. Like at level 10 or something. I mean lvl 1-25 is really just a warmup. It is at lvl 26 that the game demands some IQ. It took me about equal time to get from lvl 1 to lvl 25, and from lvl 26 to lvl 30 [wink]!

I think you should tighten the challenge-curve. And don't forget to implement that highscore list with custom names. I know, implementing name input in Java sucks, but it's essential for a highscore.

PM me or bump this thread when the game's updated. I've got it bookmarked.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.