Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Real-Time Realistic Cloud Rendering and Lighting

Started by Myopic Rhino Oct 23, 2005 at 10:37 PM 22 replies 5.9k views
Phillip Martin
Phillip Martin
The first comment that springs to mind is there are no screenshots. Yes it sounds picky, and aye, its not helpful if you are looking for comments on the content.

It is important though. Unless the reader is already familiar with techniques in cloud rendering, they probably aren't going to invest nultiple hours getting giving the artcile a go unless they know they are going to end up with something worth while.

-Phil
Myopic Rhino
Myopic Rhino
Screenshots don't illustrate it nearly as well as running the demo and seeing it in realtime.
smitty1276
smitty1276
Having seen some nice real-time cloud rendering stuff in action, I would agree with you Rhino that actually seeing it in motion is the best way to appreciate it and to understand what's going on.

However, I think the first commenter does have a point. A literary critic (as opposed to a technical one) would probably make the case that screenshots are a nice tool by which you can draw in readers who may otherwise think that they aren't interested.
Phillip Martin
Phillip Martin
Quote:
Original post by smitty1276
Having seen some nice real-time cloud rendering stuff in action, I would agree with you Rhino that actually seeing it in motion is the best way to appreciate it and to understand what's going on.

However, I think the first commenter does have a point. A literary critic (as opposed to a technical one) would probably make the case that screenshots are a nice tool by which you can draw in readers who may otherwise think that they aren't interested.


Yep, thats the message I was getting across.

Also, I didn't even know there was a demo to try out. In order to find that information out, I had to download the source code, which I wouldn't do unless it was superior to the cloud techniques I've seen. See what I'm getting at? The more useful immediate information there is, the better it is for the reader. A reader's time is valuable, and the easier you can make it for them, the better.

- Phil

billy_zelsnack
billy_zelsnack
Definately go ahead and download the source. There's an exe in there and the demo is pretty cool. It pops a bit, but it's quite nice.
very unhelpful and/or unfriendly
RAZORUNREAL
RAZORUNREAL
Looks like the criticism was constructive[smile].
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
noaktree
noaktree
Forget the constructive criticism [smile]. The article and source are great!

Thanks for the weed function [wink].

_NEil
game development is liek a state of mind man.. it's liek when you liek... think... and then you liek make it fun++

- Yes I'm drunk.
kohaistyle
kohaistyle
Excellent article, and nice code !

Thx a bunch
ketek
ketek
Strange artifacts with a geoforce4 , looks like the impostors have a white band when rendered
Slaru
Slaru
This is a nice summary of Harris' paper in terms a graphics programmer could better understand. I would strongly suggest to anyone interested in this to check out his website.

Slaru
matthughson
matthughson
Just curious, but is this process really practical for games? Seems a little too intersive to me, especially if your game isn't completly based on clouds. It looks really great though!

Have you ever tried adding so physics behaviour to the clouds? It's probably not to realistic but it'd be neat to be see like a ball or something fly through and scatter the clouds.

Anyway, cool stuff!
Matt
__________________________________[ Website ] [ Résumé ] [ [email=contact[at]matthughson[dot]com]Contact[/email] ][ Have I been Helpful? Hook me up! ]
Slaru
Slaru
Harris' latest paper "Simulation of Cloud Dynamics on Graphics Hardware" appears to add physical animation to clouds ("entirely" on the GPU). I read the paper a little while ago, but I haven't tried to implement the technique. As an extention to this article, I'd suggest checking it out if you feel like deciphering an academic paper.

Slaru
fredrik90
fredrik90
I haven`t got around to read the articel, just looked over it, but will read it later today. But one thing I discovered was that the link to the download is broken. can you please update it. will like to see how this demo is.
Flight-Real leader
Steven Hansen
Steven Hansen
The cottonball cloud approach seems to only look reasonable if you aren't actually getting very close to them, which defeats their purpose in being quasi-three dimensional. There are plenty of 2D techniques that look better from a distance IMHO.

[edit] Though I hope I didn't offend anyone and their research efforts. [/edit]
datxcod
datxcod
Download link isn't working
D3DXVECTOR3
D3DXVECTOR3
^^ same here, download link isnt working :(
juglarx
juglarx
the link to src is broken :(

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.