Original Post
A few weeks ago someone had posted a thread regarding self-replication. There was a demo program which looked a lot like Conway's game of life, but was geared toward artificial chemistry. The goal was to work toward discovering self-replicating particles inside this simulator. I can't seem to find the thread, now, but I found the following article which is perfect for that poster. I hope others also find it useful. -Kirk Nature 437, 636 (29 September 2005) | doi: 10.1038/437636a Robotics: Self-replication from random parts Saul Griffith1, Dan Goldwater1 and Joseph M. Jacobson1 Top of pageAutonomously self-replicating machines have long caught the imagination1, 2, 3 but have yet to acquire the sophistication of biological systems, which assemble structures from disordered building blocks. Here we describe the autonomous self-replication of a reconfigurable string of parts from randomly positioned input components. Such components, if suitably miniaturized and mass-produced, could constitute self-fabricating systems whose assembly is brought about by the parts themselves. http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v437/n7059/abs/437636a.html;jsessionid=EBD15BE3894C48B0047C3BA664133F96