Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

random solar system names

Started by Lode Nov 21, 2005 at 5:50 AM 27 replies 5.8k views
Original Post
Lode
Lode
For my elite: frontier clone, I generate random names for solar systems, and currently I use a system with random prefixes and random syllabes. Some names that are generated are nice, others are somewhat weird. It generates 400000 * 400000 of those names because that's the amount of stars in the galaxy of this game. Here's a screenshot of some of the names it generates ("Sol" wasn't generated but pre-programmed) Image Hosted by ImageShack.us Do you think those names are al(l)right? Do you think people would care if this system would accidently generated an offensive name (I saw a star named "Dik" somewhere).
MotionCoil
MotionCoil
They look pretty cool for randomly generated names. Nicely done![grin]
Inparticular I like the name Noax.
[EDIT]
I feel you should be sure to make the race from galaxies like 'Splintula' and 'spameal' particularly violent [wink]
[/EDIT]
If you are worried, you could put in a safeguard against potentially offensive names by checking them against a pre-programmed list of black-listed names and possible corruptions. If its the same then regenerate.

However, i wouldn't worry too much [smile]
boolean
boolean
haha, there is a system named Gory
benryves
benryves
"Eta Burga"? (right centre) Pfffffft!
[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]
Fahrenheit451
Fahrenheit451
Unless you are expecting people to have to remember the names for whatever reason. For example; go here and buy that, take it there and do this etc. (I'm not familiar with Elite so I don't know if this is part of the game plan or not). You could of course overcome that by having some indicator/marker to hint where they need to go etc. Otherwise, they sound cool and very well done for random names. Nice job!

F451
necreia
necreia
Spameal <-- [lol]
klems
klems
"DA Spama" (lower left center)... [lol]

I wouldn't worry about a solar system accidentally being called "dik" or "bukkake" or whatever. Most people who'd play that kind of game probably wouldn't care about it.
The Frugal Gourmet
The Frugal Gourmet
Cool idea. Looks good.

Latin and Greek prefixes and suffixes might be useful for your concatenations (I see you're already using some). Also, maybe some Arabic since some stars have Arabic names.
Co-creator of Star Bandits -- a graphical Science Fiction multiplayer online game, in the style of "Trade Wars'.
smart_idiot
smart_idiot
Soon the entire copter system will be mine!

The names seem to be pretty good to me. They seem awfully close together, though.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other
Jernej.L
Jernej.L
i find these really cool, so i'd leave them as they are ;)
Projects: Top Down City: http://mathpudding.com/
Zahlman
Zahlman
M.C. Zoni IN DA GALAXY!!!11
Lode
Lode
Quote:
Original post by smart_idiotThey seem awfully close together, though.


Nah, the milkyway is 3000 lightyears thick, the stars are far apart in that direction, you just can't see that on a 2D map, it's an easy simplification :)
dave
dave
Their new game is a twist on Tiger Woods 2005, @(11,7)

ace
oliii
oliii
What's homoveld doing near slaplex? Pervert!
Everything is better with Metal.
Trapper Zoid
Trapper Zoid
That looks like a pretty good collection of names. For some reason I like "Gomer", "Loven", "Mo", "Susen", "Jak", "NC Splinty" and "666 Splintus" [smile].
Eelco
Eelco
Quote:
Original post by smart_idiot
Soon the entire copter system will be mine!


including rofl- and wafflecopter?
Ravuya
Ravuya
I remember that Elite did the same thing and they spent a few days looking over the output for naughty words. [grin]

But yeah, looks great -- and it's awesome that it runs on Linux. Good work! Lemme know if you need any help/ports/testing.
ApochPiQ
ApochPiQ
Nice... the world needs more procedural content.

As for "easter eggs"... well, as far as I'm concerned, that's just a bonus.
tychon
tychon
I don't know if your game makes the distinction, but you may look into making a few set of phonology rules based on the controlling region's language.

For example:

Race A has the sounds A, TA, TU, VE. VE may never appear after an A, and TU may never be the first syllable - unless separated by a glottal stop.

Tu'vea, Atave, Veveta, and so on.

Race B has the sounds GA, LU, TOR, MAS, NAL, AS. LU may never be the initial syllable, and the M in MAS changes to V when the previous syllable ends in a vowel.

Masga, Torluvas, Nalluas, Tormasnal.

And so on. From there you generate names based on those races' rules. It will create a much more natural looking distinction between a group's boundaries. Of course, I also recommend the ability for the player to have an alias name for a system - in some cases, a planet I commonly travel to would ring a better bell if it sounded much more natural to me, as opposed to whatever the locals call it. On further thought, unless you're assuming that all systems are known by the player prior to playing, you could use a simple index system to name uncharted systems, thus allowing the player to either learn or choose the name for new systems.

Just a thought. [smile]

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.