Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked 🤖 Godot

2003 Studio vs 2005

Started by Daivam Nov 22, 2005 at 12:06 PM 2 replies 700+ views
Original Post
Daivam
Daivam
So last week I decided to get back into the swing of things and purchase a decent compiler. I went to my local Fry's, and picked up the latest edition of Microsofts C++ compiler I could find (2003). Only $120 for the Standard edition. Come to find out though, the 2005 edition is free. Should I continue using the edition I have, or should I upgrade to the newer one? Any really nice features? If possible please tell me that the 2003 edition is superior for some reason, I would so like to think I didn't just toss $100 out the window. Thanks.
programwizard
programwizard
Visual Studio 2005 is not free; it costs $300. It's the express editions that are free. Of course, if you download all 6 of them, you essentially have VS2005 Standard, just broken up into 6 little parts. So yeah, it was sort of a waste... it's better to have everything together, if that makes you feel better [grin].
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
dnsauve
dnsauve
2003 is still a pretty good compiler, but I prefer 2005. If you bought the Professional edition, then you have more tools then what's available with Visual C++ 2005 Express (the free version).

2005 Express doesn't come with any extras like Source Safe or the resource editor and you need to install the Platform SDK seperately. Also, if you plan to do any MFC or ATL development, be aware that the Express editions do not support this and the libraries are not available for download (legally).

So, it wasn't a complete waste, but you might want to try and return it if they'll let you. You could always try to sell it on E-Bay...

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.