Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

apple dashboard look for winXP.

Started by GekkoCube Nov 28, 2005 at 9:15 PM 10 replies 1.2k views
Original Post
GekkoCube
GekkoCube
for some reason i've decided to get my PC notebook to look like a mac. so far i placed the apple sticker on the top. and because its already a silver colored notebook, it really resembles an apple powerbook. of course i got an apple wallpaper. now im looking for really cool stuff. like an apple dashboard program that will look and function similar to what the OSX provides. any thoughts?
Oberon_Command
Oberon_Command
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by a dashboard program, but I do know that you can use WindowBlinds to tweak the appearance of the UI. I know that they have a MAC OS/X skin that comes with it, so you don't have to go hunting about for a new theme.
Conner McCloud
Conner McCloud
When is OSX supposed to be released for non-macs? Rather than mess with making Windows look like OSX, I'm just anxiously awaiting the opportunity to install OSX on my PC :)

CM
Maega
Maega
Quote:
Original post by Conner McCloud
When is OSX supposed to be released for non-macs? Rather than mess with making Windows look like OSX, I'm just anxiously awaiting the opportunity to install OSX on my PC :)

CM


Never.. atleast legally
Roboguy
Roboguy
Quote:
Original post by Conner McCloud
When is OSX supposed to be released for non-macs? Rather than mess with making Windows look like OSX, I'm just anxiously awaiting the opportunity to install OSX on my PC :)

CM


2006, IIRC. Also, it will probably only be officially supported under special Intel machines, though.
slowpid
slowpid
I just did the same thing, In fact I was actually hunting for a dock like you describe while reading your topic. The best I have found (in the last couple minutes, that means only) is MobyDock, which is the same dock (for all intents and purposes).

Good luck.

-Slowpid

"I actually have the apple sticker that came with my Ipod on the top of me sliver laptop as well...."
cowsarenotevil
cowsarenotevil
ObjectDock is the best dock I've used (as far as free ones go), but yeah, I second Konfabulator for the dashboard. Dashboard actually was introduced after Konfabulator. There aren't any decent menu bars (the one at the top) for Windows that are free. I used McBar and made my own theme for it, and it worked decently.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
CpMan
CpMan
Quote:
Original post by Roboguy
Quote:
Original post by Conner McCloud
When is OSX supposed to be released for non-macs? Rather than mess with making Windows look like OSX, I'm just anxiously awaiting the opportunity to install OSX on my PC :)

CM


2006, IIRC. Also, it will probably only be officially supported under special Intel machines, though.


Yes. Apple seeks to maintain control over the hardware, so AFAIK, the only difference between existing macs and the new ones will be the fact that there is an intel processor in there. There will still be barriers against installing OSX on PC's.
VSEDebug Visual Studio.NET Add-In. Enhances debugging in ways never thought possible.
Roboguy
Roboguy
Quote:
Original post by CpMan
Quote:
Original post by Roboguy
Quote:
Original post by Conner McCloud
When is OSX supposed to be released for non-macs? Rather than mess with making Windows look like OSX, I'm just anxiously awaiting the opportunity to install OSX on my PC :)

CM


2006, IIRC. Also, it will probably only be officially supported under special Intel machines, though.


Yes. Apple seeks to maintain control over the hardware, so AFAIK, the only difference between existing macs and the new ones will be the fact that there is an intel processor in there. There will still be barriers against installing OSX on PC's.


Not as many though, since it will be an x86 architecture.
Promit
Promit
Quote:
Original post by PixolMaster
I believe this is what you seek:
http://www.konfabulator.com/

Oh my god that is amazing. One less reason to switch to OSX, thank god.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Nytegard
Nytegard
Quote:
Original post by Roboguy
Not as many though, since it will be an x86 architecture.


Well, with built in DRM into the CPU, there's not going to be much of a way to get around it on other machines. I know the old Apple systems actually had core parts of their OS built into ROM chips, which guaranteed others couldn't make clones of the system due to patents, and you couldn't really pirate the software, since it didn't have all the necessary parts. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they do something similar.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.