Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Books to buy?

Started by StartingPoint Dec 5, 2005 at 11:37 PM 22 replies 5k views
Original Post
StartingPoint
StartingPoint
Iam pretty much new to C++ programming so I bought several books to get started. 1- Beginning C++ Game Programming (Game Development Series) [Paperback] By: Michael Dawson 2- Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example [Paperback] By: Andrew Koenig, Barbara E. Moo 3- 3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development [Paperback] By: Fletcher Dunn 4- Swords & Circuitry: A Designer's Guide to Computer Role-Playing Games (Game Development) [Paperback] By: Neal Hallford, Jana Hallford 5- C++: The Complete Reference, 4th Edition [Paperback] By: Herbert Schildt ----- From this list, which should I takeout, change or you would recommend. I personally want to buy books so I can advance progressively with it in C++ (Beginner->Intermediate->Advanced). I m not sure which books to gather together for that so any help on this matter would help me out a lot.
DarkScript
DarkScript
i suggest u buy :
1-ansi c++ in 21 days
2-Introduction to 3d game programming with directx9
3-Mathematics for 3d game programming and computer graphics
and it would be faster if u remember some of ur old physics and math stuff
Wanas
TriSwords
TriSwords
Quote:

1- Beginning C++ Game Programming (Game Development Series) [Paperback]
By: Michael Dawson

4- Swords & Circuitry: A Designer's Guide to Computer Role-Playing Games (Game Development) [Paperback]
By: Neal Hallford, Jana Hallford


1-- Good book. I really liked it to start. However I also have 1.5 years of Java expirience under my belt.

4-- This has nothing to do with programming. Only development. You could try Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX second edition, but I am not sure how good it is.

EDIT: Guess I misread the book name the first time.
StartingPoint
StartingPoint
teach yourself ansi C++ in 21 days is sold out. curse you amazon ><
StartingPoint
StartingPoint
since it sold out, should i go with

Beginning C++ Game Programming (Game Development Series) - Michael Dawson? I got the rest suggested.
CRACK123
CRACK123
If you are new to programming, I would say stick with 1,2 and 5. 3 and 4 can come in if you are ok with programming.
The more applications I write, more I find out how less I know
Fruny
Fruny
As far as C++ books go, the following five will take you a long way.

  1. Accelerated C++ (Koenig, Moo)
  2. C++ Primer (Lippman, Lajoie, Moo)
  3. The C++ Standard Library (Josuttis)
  4. C++ Common Knowledge (Dewhurst)
  5. The C++ Programming language (Stroustrup)

"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Xpyder
Xpyder
Try getting "Teach Yourself Game Programming with DirectX in 21 Days"

It advances on a 2D RPG game showing new skills as you go.
JUST-CODE-IT.NETManaged DirectX & C# TutorialsForumsArticlesLinksSamples
StartingPoint
StartingPoint
Quote:
Original post by Fruny
As far as C++ books go, the following five will take you a long way.

  1. Accelerated C++ (Koenig, Moo)
  2. C++ Primer (Lippman, Lajoie, Moo)
  3. The C++ Standard Library (Josuttis)
  4. C++ Common Knowledge (Dewhurst)
  5. The C++ Programming language (Stroustrup)


I was reading some of the comments of those books and they seem pretty advanced for me. I will just start out with the simple stuff first and build myself up to those when i understand the rest fully.

StartingPoint
StartingPoint
Quote:
Original post by Xpyder
Try getting "Teach Yourself Game Programming with DirectX in 21 Days"

It advances on a 2D RPG game showing new skills as you go.




ahh now im confused lol
StartingPoint
StartingPoint
1- Beginning C++ Game Programming (Game Development Series) [Paperback]
By: Michael Dawson

2- Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics, Second Edition (Game Development Series) - Eric Lengyel

3- Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 - Frank D. Luna

4- Sams Teach Yourself Game Programming with DirectX in 21 Days

K, Iam going to stick with that unless anyone thinks there is a serious mistake.
Fruny
Fruny
Quote:
Original post by StartingPoint
I was reading some of the comments of those books and they seem pretty advanced for me.


Not really, no. "The C++ Standard Library" and "The C++ Programming Language" are references. "Accelerated C++" and "C++ Primer" are beginner C++ books though Accelerated C++ is rather steep. "C++ Common Knowledge" is an intermediate C++ book.

A "pretty advanced" book would be something like "C++ Template Metaprogramming".

Quote:
I will just start out with the simple stuff first and build myself up to those when i understand the rest fully.


Beware of books with incomplete or inaccurate language coverage. I have also seen far too many books bog you down with pointers and memory management when all you wanted was a string. Sure, that's how they are done internally, but that's not the way to approach them initially.

To say nothing of their dismal standard library coverage.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
_goat
_goat
Actually, IIRC, C++ for Game Programming (take a look at the contents/intro) had areas devoted to the SC++L, and even weighed pros and cons about using various options. I glanced through it at a bookshop, and I remember thinking "If I was starting out, this would be a pretty good book to get".

Actually, after looking at that contents, I would say definately check it out. It's rare to find a beginning book about games (and I distinctly remember the author pointing out where applications of techniques would work in a game) that even mentions the SCL. Also, I remember the style being very approchable.
daviangel
daviangel
Quote:
Original post by StartingPoint
1- Beginning C++ Game Programming (Game Development Series) [Paperback]
By: Michael Dawson

2- Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics, Second Edition (Game Development Series) - Eric Lengyel

3- Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 - Frank D. Luna

4- Sams Teach Yourself Game Programming with DirectX in 21 Days

K, Iam going to stick with that unless anyone thinks there is a serious mistake.

I personally own and have read all these books except #2. I don't regret buying any of them except "acclerated c++" which is no longer on your list so I don't think you are making any mistakes now except maybe read book 4 before 3 since it's a lot gentler and easier intro to directx. Only bad thing is you'll be in a chicken/egg dilemma though since book 4 uses dx 8 so you'll probably run into a lot of confusing errors if you use latest dx 9 sdk. book 4 complied fine with latest microsoft sdk when I read it though it is a bit terse since it is a small book. If you get stuck with 3 or 4 I recommend you get "Beginning DirectX 9" by Wendy Jones since it's the easiest book out right now that teaches dx 9 and works with latest DX SDK. It helped me update the code in book 4 to directx version 9 any ways.
p.s. The reason I don't recommend "accelerated c++" unlike alot of others is the number of typos in book spans over 10 pages when I tried reading it and distracted from learning c++ not to mention book uses some very advanced stuff like loop invariants for beginner's intro to c++. Dawson book does same job of teaching c++ the way it's meant to be used by staying away from arrays and preferring vectors and use of STL in a way more enjoyable book.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Dae
Dae
Quote:
Original post by StartingPoint
1- Beginning C++ Game Programming (Game Development Series) [Paperback]
By: Michael Dawson

2- Mathematics for 3D Game Programming and Computer Graphics, Second Edition (Game Development Series) - Eric Lengyel

3- Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 - Frank D. Luna

4- Sams Teach Yourself Game Programming with DirectX in 21 Days

K, Iam going to stick with that unless anyone thinks there is a serious mistake.


#1 is good, but is simply a learning guide to C++. It could be replaced with the highly rated Accelerated C++. I'd drop #4 personally. #2 is on my to readlist, and I've commented that its highly math oriented - reading the reviews again, yeah I its deep into 3D math.. so you'd be expected to know HS math at least. I have it down I should read this first:

Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications : A Programmer's Guide (The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Interactive 3D Technology) (Hardcover)
by James M. Van Verth, Lars M. Bishop
010001000110000101100101
dxFoo
dxFoo
Get #5 without the hesitation since people love to turn it down. It's the best reference book you could ever need on the job. I wouldn't get his earlier editions though.
StartingPoint
StartingPoint
i just bought

Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications, First Edition : A Programmer's Guide

Beginning C++ Game Programming (Game Development Series)

C++ Primer (4th Edition)

----

After that I intend to pratice a bit and go futher with

Algorithms in C++, Parts 1-4: Fundamentals, Data Structure, Sorting, Searching (3rd Edition) (Paperback)

and will see from there.
Dae
Dae
C++ Primer (4th Edition)? Why didn't you get 5th edition?

Good choices btw, a c++ beginners book, a good beginners c++ reference, a good math beginners book, and Algorithms in C++ looks good.
010001000110000101100101
StartingPoint
StartingPoint
Quote:
Original post by Dae
C++ Primer (4th Edition)? Why didn't you get 5th edition?

Good choices btw, a c++ beginners book, a good beginners c++ reference, a good math beginners book, and Algorithms in C++ looks good.


Fruny told me that the 5th edition was different from the 4th. What books should i get after finishing the beginner books?

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.