my aunt on Price is Right

Started by
21 comments, last by angrytofu 18 years, 4 months ago
This may fall on deaf ears, but I'm excited, so I'm going to tell the world anyway. My aunt (Marlene Ledwig) will be appearing on The Price is Right tomorrow, so for all you out there over the age of 50 that actually give a crap, keep your eye out for her!
Advertisement
That's awesome, but I don't have TV.
Wait, so you're saying when the announcer picks people out of the crowd to play, they already know they're going to get picked? Are you sure about that? I thought it was random, and judging from peoples' reactions, I'd say it would have to be. Not everyone is that good of an actor.
While I can't view your aunt on TV over here on Australian TV, the Price is Right was one of my favourite shows when I was a kid. I just loved all those little price based mini-games the game is based on. Of course, most contestants don't really know to play, and make naive choices on some of the more skill based games.

Someone once told me of a contestant decades ago who turned out to work for consumer affairs on the pricing of goods, and knew the exact price of everything. Once he got to the final showcase, he was asking if the T.V. was in the fake walnut or the fake oak finish, because it made a few dollars difference in the price [grin].

I have to admit I'm a fan of the mechanics behind game shows [smile[.
Quote:Original post by Kevinator
Wait, so you're saying when the announcer picks people out of the crowd to play, they already know they're going to get picked? Are you sure about that? I thought it was random, and judging from peoples' reactions, I'd say it would have to be. Not everyone is that good of an actor.

Most game shows are recorded weeks in advance, so you'd know if you were on it or not. I remember on one episode of The Price is Right where the winning contestent yelled out something like "Happy Easter", even though the show was shown around July [smile].
Oh, right... I thought he was talking about the actual gameshow, not tomorrow's aired program.
$200
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
While I can't view your aunt on TV over here on Australian TV, the Price is Right was one of my favourite shows when I was a kid. I just loved all those little price based mini-games the game is based on. Of course, most contestants don't really know to play, and make naive choices on some of the more skill based games.

"Come on down!"

I used to love the show too [smile]

I always thought that when Larry Emdur (the host, for those not in the know) was not being force fed scripts and just improvised on the spot, he was a genuinely funny guy.

I still remember the time they got that women up who went MAD, and was just jumping around, hugging Larry, screaming like a maniac, and then when Larry tried to give her a glass of water to calm down, she couldn't hold it still enough to drink it.

Quote:Original post by boolean
I still remember the time they got that women up who went MAD, and was just jumping around, hugging Larry, screaming like a maniac...

Up to this point this describes nearly every episode of The Price is Right that I've seen [grin].

Edit: Actually, the episode I remember is the one where this woman just couldn't understand the whole concept behind that "higher and lower" guess-the-price-of-the-showcase game at the end; she kept guessing insanely stupid prices like $100, or much higher than the other contestant's guess when Larry was saying it was lower. Larry had to keep on giving her not-so-subtle hints about what she should be doing. Eventually she hazarded a guess that was only one dollar away from the actual price, and you could see in Larry's eyes that he was praying that she wouldn't win so the final guess-the-showcase wouldn't be a complete farce (can't remember if she won or not; I suspect she didn't).
Quote:Original post by boolean
"Come on down!"

I used to love the show too [smile]

I always thought that when Larry Emdur (the host, for those not in the know) was not being force fed scripts and just improvised on the spot, he was a genuinely funny guy.

I used to watch the show because the women moving the merchandise around were hot. The guy that hosts the show in the US was Bob Barker - who you might recognize from the Happy Gilmore movie (he's the old man that beats Gilmore up). Anyway, it turned out years later that Barker was sexually harassing the "show" girls.

A friend of mine used to make the sets for the US show.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement