my aunt on Price is Right

Started by
21 comments, last by angrytofu 18 years, 5 months ago
Quote:The guy that hosts the show in the US was Bob Barker

Huh?!
Advertisement
Maybe he still does. I don't know, I don't watch the show anymore.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by LessBread
Anyway, it turned out years later that Barker was sexually harassing the "show" girls.

Wikipedia says
Quote:In 1993, he was accused of sexually harassing one of the show's models, Dian Parkinson. Barker admitted to sexual involvement with Parkinson in the late 1980s. Ultimately, it was shown that Parkinson initiated the whole affair and Barker was exonerated.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Quote:Original post by cowsarenotevil
Wikipedia says
Quote:In 1993, he was accused of sexually harassing one of the show's models, Dian Parkinson. Barker admitted to sexual involvement with Parkinson in the late 1980s. Ultimately, it was shown that Parkinson initiated the whole affair and Barker was exonerated.

What a relief. The kids today really look up to Bob Barker and I wouldn't want them emulating that behavior.
--------
Whoisdoingthis.com - my stupid website about warning labels.
Quote:Original post by cowsarenotevil
Quote:Original post by LessBread
Anyway, it turned out years later that Barker was sexually harassing the "show" girls.

Wikipedia says

Well, according to this: Bob Barker to face courtroom battle after model's suit ruled valid.

Quote:
The behind-the-scenes battles have involved suits from nine employees who alleged wrongful termination or sexual harassment. One suit, which has been pending for eight years, recently got a boost when an appeals court ruled it was suitable for trial.
The behind-the-scenes battles have involved suits from nine employees who alleged wrongful termination or sexual harassment. One suit, which has been pending for eight years, recently got a boost when an appeals court ruled it was suitable for trial.
Hallstrom was now out of Barker's way, and so was Parkinson. Barker's mistress dropped her sexual harassment suit in April 1995, saying it was too costly and had taken a toll on her health.
Barker dropped his suit against Hallstrom in September 2000, after damaging testimony from Riegert and three other women on the show, according to Alden.

Their testimony came with a price: On Oct. 19, 2000, the four women — Riegert; Janice Pennington, a model; Kathleen Bradley, a model; and Sherrell Paris, Barker's personal assistant — were dismissed from the show. Sharon Friem, a writer who rejected Barker's alleged sexual advances, was also let go that day, Alden said.

"We know for a fact that five out of 14, or 38 percent, of the show's women were fired the same day. Coincidentally, these same women are the ones who are fighting against Bob Barker," Alden said. "It doesn't leave much room for coincidence."
Barker suffered another legal blow on Aug. 3, when Claudia Jordan, a model, and Sylvia Clement-Henry, assistant to producer Phillip Rossi, sued over allegations of wrongful termination, sexual harassment and racial discrimination.

Now, I'm not saying that the above is the truth, only that there's more to the story than what the wiki entry lays down - noteably that Barker wasn't exonerated as much as Parkison gave up.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Quote:Original post by Trapper Zoid
Actually, the episode I remember is the one where this woman just couldn't understand the whole concept behind that "higher and lower" guess-the-price-of-the-showcase game at the end; she kept guessing insanely stupid prices like $100, or much higher than the other contestant's guess when Larry was saying it was lower. Larry had to keep on giving her not-so-subtle hints about what she should be doing. Eventually she hazarded a guess that was only one dollar away from the actual price, and you could see in Larry's eyes that he was praying that she wouldn't win so the final guess-the-showcase wouldn't be a complete farce (can't remember if she won or not; I suspect she didn't).

HAHAHA! I can just imagine the expression on Larrys face too [grin]
Wow, this thread got a lot more love than I was expecting! Anyway, I rolled out of bed this morning to watch, and sure enough, there she was! Jumping up and down like a little school girl. And yes, this show was filmed several months ago, and it just aired today.

According to my aunt, the stage is much, MUCH smaller and much, MUCH dirtier/crappier/worn down in real life than it appears on TV. She was surprised that the set was so dilapidated. Everybody that attends in the audience gets an interview before the show so that the producers (or whoever) can look for possible contestants (yes, they look for the crazies...a la my aunt). My aunt apparently went nuts during the interview, and subsequently was selected to "COME ON DOWN!" They had to get there and wait in line at like 4 in the morning just to be one of the first hundred or so that they let into the audience.

Anyway, yeah, that's about it. Pretty cool though!
I didnt get to watch it, but did she win anything?
She won a 6-day trip for 4 to Washington, D.C. She hasn't taken the vacation yet, but she has 4 little rugrats, so it should be an interesting trip.
Quote:Original post by StonieJ
She won a 6-day trip for 4 to Washington, D.C. She hasn't taken the vacation yet, but she has 4 little rugrats, so it should be an interesting trip.

Who gets left behind? O_O

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement