Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

The taste of alcohol...

Started by sunandshadow Dec 18, 2005 at 2:27 AM 103 replies 19.2k views
Original Post
sunandshadow
sunandshadow
Is anyone like me and just can't stand the taste of alcohol? I have tried several kinds by now: champagne, sweet sangria, pina colada, strawberry daquiri, long island iced tea, and today I got to try irish cream. And I didn't like any of them. :P They taste so bitter/kind of like menthol, which I am allergic to, and they make my stomach burn like I need to take an antacid. I would like to be able to do the social drinking thing with my friends, but I'm not going to drink stuff I hate the taste of. So, while I am planning my Christmas party, does anyone know of any alcoholic drinks which don't taste like alcohol?
I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.
uncle_rico
uncle_rico
I have never, ever tried alcohol that I've liked. Beer tastes like crap, wine tastes like crap. Rum seriously tastes like rubbing alcohol. So does gin, apparently (I've never tried it myself). I don't even like malt coolers all that much. I eventually stopped trying alcohol altogether. I'm a little jealous of people who enjoy it, but that's ok. I'll just drink my soda and juice.
Oluseyi
Oluseyi
Quote:
Original post by sunandshadow
So, while I am planning my Christmas party, does anyone know of any alcoholic drinks which don't taste like alcohol?

Don't do it. This is the path that leads to "diet" soda, "fat free" fast food and non-alcoholic "wine." Be unapologetic about your not consuming alcohol because it tastes like crap to you. Provide alcohol for your guests, if you wish, but don't feel compelled to imbibe or "join in" the social drinking.

That said, I would recommend a visit to a pub that sells gourmet beers from the tap. Finally, a beer that didn't taste like distilled piss!
nes8bit
nes8bit
So like...alcohol isn't that great. If you haven't started yet, then you aren't missing out on much. Except for an unhappy liver and weird digestion problems in the morning. (Some people get headaches)
H_o_p_s
H_o_p_s
Quote:
Original post by Luke Philpot
vodka? :)


Rasberry vodka and cranberry juice :)
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
sunandshadow
sunandshadow
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:
Original post by sunandshadow
So, while I am planning my Christmas party, does anyone know of any alcoholic drinks which don't taste like alcohol?

Don't do it. This is the path that leads to "diet" soda, "fat free" fast food and non-alcoholic "wine." Be unapologetic about your not consuming alcohol because it tastes like crap to you. Provide alcohol for your guests, if you wish, but don't feel compelled to imbibe or "join in" the social drinking.

That said, I would recommend a visit to a pub that sells gourmet beers from the tap. Finally, a beer that didn't taste like distilled piss!


Actually I usually drink diet soda because I'm type II diabetic and can't take all the sugar that's in regular soda, lol. (I'm not sure whether diabetics can't digest alcohol, I should probably look that up. I know I'm supposed to eat meat, dairy, and vegtables, and avoid sugars, starches, and fruits...) But it's not just the social pressure, I would like to see what it feels like to get a little tipsy at least once. I have a standing bet with someone about whether I would be a hyper giggly drunk or whether I would promptly fall asleep.
I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.
sunandshadow
sunandshadow
Quote:
Original post by H_o_p_s
Quote:
Original post by Luke Philpot
vodka? :)


Rasberry vodka and cranberry juice :)


Lol but I hate cranberry juice.
I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.
Desert Fox
Desert Fox
Beer is bad until you acquire a taste for it (like most alcoholic drinks). Also a warning, most American-brewed beer is bad (macrobrews tend to be quite nasty). Since you're from Pittsburgh, I highly recommend you check out Fatheads on the South Side; great beer, on tap, from around the world. Tends to be a little pricey, but draft beer is way better than bottled, and Fatheads has like 40+ beers on draft, rotated every week or so.
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry
Penten
Penten
Try the spirits, whisky, tequila, vodka, cointreau and the like. Theyre strong enough that you won't taste them. Or just don't drink. I don't anymore...there never really seems to be any point.
sunandshadow
sunandshadow
Quote:
Original post by Penten
Try the spirits, whisky, tequila, vodka, cointreau and the like. Theyre strong enough that you won't taste them. Or just don't drink. I don't anymore...there never really seems to be any point.


That irish cream stuff is whisky with coffee and milk added. And I could definitely taste the whisky. I was thinking maybe if I got something really sour, like green apple pucker, that the alcohol taste might get buried under the sourness...?

And it's not like I plan to drink a lot, I would just like to have one drink I actually like which I could order when it was appropriate.
I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.
Penten
Penten
Quote:
Original post by sunandshadow
Quote:
Original post by Penten
Try the spirits, whisky, tequila, vodka, cointreau and the like. Theyre strong enough that you won't taste them. Or just don't drink. I don't anymore...there never really seems to be any point.


That irish cream stuff is whisky with coffee and milk added. And I could definitely taste the whisky. I was thinking maybe if I got something really sour, like green apple pucker, that the alcohol taste might get buried under the sourness...?

And it's not like I plan to drink a lot, I would just like to have one drink I actually like which I could order when it was appropriate.


I can't remember what it was called but I tried this cherry drink recently..cherry with some sort of spirit and tabasaco sauce on the top. It tastes like hot cherry unsurprisingly...anyone know whats its called?
Programmer One
Programmer One
When the iron curtain still existed, I heard of stories where the Russian soldiers would not have anything real to drink so they drank things like perfume and gasoline to suppliment their needs.

Other than that...all I have to say is that if you drink and you need to take antacid because you feel your stomach burn then the moment you get drunk you will puke your bowls out. Enjoy.
GroZZleR
GroZZleR
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Don't do it. This is the path that leads to "diet" soda, "fat free" fast food and non-alcoholic "wine."


What's wrong with diet pop exactly?

LessBread
LessBread
I think all alcohol is an acquired taste.

Vodka mixes well. Try it with orange juice or tomato juice or some other kind of juice that you like.

Contrary to what Penten wrote, whiskey and tequila can be tasted. Both of them have very distinctive tastes. If you don't want to taste the tequila, drink a margarita. A sour whiskey drink is called a "whiskey sour", it tastes like strong lemonade with a bite.

Irish cream is more like milk than coffee. It's not whiskey, it's a liqueur, 40 proof instead of 80 proof* - and with lots of sugars. If you like milk and coffee, try kahlua and cream and if that's not strong enough for you, try a white russian.

From what I just read about diabetes, alcohol can cause hypoglycemia and could interfere with medication. You'll probably be better off following Oluseyi's advice and not drinking. But if you still want to, given the sugar content of mixed drinks you might want to just have a few glasses of wine with dinner and leave it at that.

*proof is twice the percentage
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
etothex
etothex
Quote:
Original post by GroZZleR
Quote:
Original post by Oluseyi
Don't do it. This is the path that leads to "diet" soda, "fat free" fast food and non-alcoholic "wine."


What's wrong with diet pop exactly?


Yeah, and I like very dry non alcoholic champagne too. I don't see anything wrong with it. Lots of fun and no hangover or boozey smell in the morning.
Penten
Penten
Quote:
Original post by LessBread
Contrary to what Penten wrote, whiskey and tequila can be tasted.


Drink faster...

Yes they can be tasted but not in the same way as beer or wine, I can barely taste a tequila shot, just a bit of aftertaste.
Ksero
Ksero
Over here we have different kinds of hard cider (apple, pear, elderberry, ...) that are quite sweet and soda-like... The fruity taste kind of hides the alcohol (depending on how strong the cider is), leaving just a certain dryness... Generally, at the parties at my university, all the girls have cider (because it tastes better), and all the guys have beer (peer pressure) :-P
But I do think they contain about as much sugar as regular soda... I don't know if you can find diet-cider :-P
Witchcraven
Witchcraven
Try Mike's Hard Lemonade. If I was served it, without being told it was alcoholic I would not have known there was alchohol in it. Although I prefer the lime variant.
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.