Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

GDNet London 2006 Gathering interest check

Started by Sandman Dec 20, 2005 at 6:24 AM 52 replies 7.1k views
Original Post
Sandman
Sandman
Well, it's going to be 2006 soon, and I think we're overdue for another gathering. I'm thinking either the 7th or 28th of January, or pretty much any time in February. 14th and 21st are no good for me because I'll be in Austria enjoying all the lovely snow they've been having this winter. So post if you're interested, and if you have any clever ideas of what to do. Unless you're happy to sit in a pub all day and get plastered, that's good too.
superpig
superpig
Sounds good to me. I'd probably prefer the 28th, of those two - the 7th is a little close to the beginning of my Uni term.

No particular thoughts on what to do - I'm content to do what we did last time, but if there's something new to do that'd be cool as well.
Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse
_the_phantom_
_the_phantom_
hell yeah! I'm up for that!
28th seems like a good plan to me as well, i've got a bunch of stuff due in on the 9th for college so the 7th is in my "omfg! I've got two days todo this!" patch [grin]

28th is close to the start date, however that doesnt bother me as I'll be starting a bunch of new modules anyways and if last term is anything to go by I can lose a few 100 brain cells and still walk it [grin]

oh, and what we did last time was cool with me... well, side from the chinese food I didnt like, but then I got chips so I was happy [grin]
Monder
Monder
28th of jan sounds good to me. I'm still at home on the 7th so getting up to London takes longer and is more expensive.

What kind of time would we be meeting? I have a maths lecture at 9 on saturday but I don't really mind missing it.
paulecoyote
paulecoyote
let the beer flow on the 28th!
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
superpig
superpig
Quote:
Original post by Monder
What kind of time would we be meeting? I have a maths lecture at 9 on saturday but I don't really mind missing it.


If past experience is anything to go by, it'd be afternoon-ish, possibly as early as 2pm and we catch a late lunch.
Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse
Monder
Monder
Now I don't have an excuse to miss maths [crying]

Anyway, that sounds good.
SKREAMZ
SKREAMZ
ohhhhhhhh im in :p
Blaaaaa Blaaaa Blaa errrrr!!!! Bla?
_the_phantom_
_the_phantom_
cool,thats 6 people so far...

ooo ooo can we have pie again?
that was nice pie!
superpig
superpig
It was nice pie. I've been looking for pie of comparable quality for quite some time now but no luck thus far.
Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse
_the_phantom_
_the_phantom_
as we are now in Jan and people seem happy about the 28th maybe someone with the power should setup a gathering announcement thingy..?
Sandman
Sandman
Quote:
Original post by phantom
as we are now in Jan and people seem happy about the 28th maybe someone with the power should setup a gathering announcement thingy..?


Good plan. Before I do though, was everyone happy with Waterloo station as an initial meeting point, or would you prefer somewhere a bit more central this time?
Monder
Monder
Well Kings Cross would be ideal for me as that's where my train would get in. However I'm perfectly happy to go to Waterloo.
_the_phantom_
_the_phantom_
well, it does mean taking the most boring train ride in the UK, however I think I can handle it again [wink]

and I want Piggy to wear his hat damn it!!!
superpig
superpig
Fine with me. I'll post the event.
Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse
C J W
C J W
I'll join in, I live quite near Waterloo Station and I'm also a hobby developer, albeit a rather nooby one! Things to do around that area that spring to mind are drink+eat(I don't know of any particular places around there except for pizza express)/theatre/millenium wheel/namco station(lots of game type stuff in there, where the WCG was held).

[Edited by - C J W on January 4, 2006 4:04:11 PM]
ToDoList.GrowthRate = WorkRate*2, it's more efficient to not work.
superpig
superpig
Ah, excellent, someone with local knowledge to get us started [grin]

In the past we've usually met somewhere, had a couple of drinks and then jumped onto the tube, so don't worry too much if you don't know many places we could visit. Provided we don't spend half the day on the tube we should be fine, there's always places we visited previously that we could go back to (like that bar/pub thing with the beer menu, that rocked).
Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse
_the_phantom_
_the_phantom_
yes, I second the pub idea... while I might not drink the beers the chips were nice and it was amusing watching others drinking chilli beer [grin]
sanguineraven
sanguineraven
I will be back at Uni by then but starting new modules so shouldn't have too much work. I can't give a definate answer yet. I may be at a gig in Brixton, London that night with a friend in which case I could join you til about 5 or 6pm and then run off. So, a maybe from me.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.