Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

[web] Create own forums or use somthing else

Started by ZedFx Dec 28, 2005 at 9:52 AM 4 replies 1k views
Original Post
ZedFx
ZedFx
I was just wondering what the general opinion was about creating forums for a website. Currently I have just 'inherited' a website which has php 4.3.1 and mysql 3.23.57, and in short words its a bit of a mess. One of the previous webmasters has created some forums using Invision Power Board, which work well but they aren't very integrated with the rest of the website. What I figured I would do would be to create my own forum system, and intergrate it with news feeds and rss feeds. What I need to know is how to do it, or should I not bother ? Regards, ZedFx
Sander
Sander
Ofcourse you can write your own, but it's a lot of work. I'd only recommend it for the fun and the learning experience and not if you just want results. I'm not that familliar with IPB but if it's anything like phpBB (and I think it is) then it will come with separate templates/themes. I suggest you just build a forum theme that matches the rest of the site and use the AP's idea of extra intergration.

You could also look for "portal" addons/extensions for IPB. Not sure if any exist for IPB but I know they do for phpBB. A portal is basically an extension that gives CMS-like features to a forum.
Michael Tanczos
Michael Tanczos
Use a pre-packaged solution.. trust me. Unless you *really* feel like you can love programming forums.

---
Michael Tanczos
Rob Loach
Rob Loach
There are millions of mods and plugins available for phpBB. I've had a bit of experience with it and can say it's nice to work with. Invision Power Board gives a more professional look, however.

Quote:
Original post by Michael Tanczos
Use a pre-packaged solution.. trust me.
That's probably the funniest thing I've ever heard you say.

Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.