New Mod Guide

Started by
21 comments, last by SiCrane 14 years, 6 months ago
Since the new moderator orientation post that Washu mentioned in the IRC chat hasn't materialized yet I've taken the liberty of throwing together my own new mod guide. Fold, spindle and mutilate at will.
Advertisement
I didn't know we had stealth bans.
Then aparently you needed the guide. :)
Re mods not having authority over one another: There's no mention of the senior mod council in that. Should there be?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I don't know. On the whole mods seem to get along just fine; I can only really remember one time when there was a mod-mod issue and they resolved it between themselves anyways. Pre-SMC we were all equal regardless of seniority (outside of forum mods on their own turf), and so far it hasn't seemed like the SMC has really done anything to "assert their authority" other than take on certain administrative headaches.
The SMC doesn't really need binding authority. As far as I see it, we're just the guys who make a decision on stuff that's been discussed and which could go either way. If a situation got contentious enough that we needed an iron fist, I assume that the staff would get involved anyway.
Well, I've reworked that paragraph to make it more clear it's more of a just in case deal, not that conflicts are expected to happen.
OK, fair enough. I just know that Dave was keen to offload as much as possible to the Senior Mods so I thought I'd mention it, but I guess Sneftel's right about the staff getting involved anyway.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

A nice piece of work.
OK, I've got some feedback from Michalson to pass on.

• Moderator Emeritus: You're correct that these guys have no moderator powers. Emeritus : "Retired but retaining an honorary title".

• Software-enforced policies: The swear word filter's never been tested, and it isn't currently coded to work on a per-forum basis; per-forum themes are also in a dubious state of operation. If anyone actually wants to start using these in their forum, they'll need to request that the dev team get them into a validated, working state first.

• Moderating outside of your own forum: The idea is that you have "supreme power," the final say in decisions, in your own forum; and in other forums, you can moderate, but should not do so in such a way that you'd be stepping on the toes of the mod who does own that forum. So you wouldn't be messing with another forum's policies or settings directly, you'd talk to the mod for that forum and s/he would be free to turn you down if s/he wishes. Roving mods just have to excercise that behaviour for every forum, they have no forum over which they have "supreme power."

• More on per-forum themes: In theory, themes in your forum can be set to either (a) Off (in which case the user's personal preference is used, or if they have no preference, the site default is used), (b) Override Default (in which case the user's personal preference is used, or if they have no preference, the theme you specify for your forum), and (c) Override Always (in which case the theme you specify is used regardless of the user's preference). Currently, all forums use option (a). If you want to set up a theme for your forum, talk to the development team liason; the dev team can install new custom themes for you, and can check that the theme system is working (because as noted, per-forum themes have not really been tested).

• IP Bans: Please bear in mind that these are always a last-resort solution, and should be configured as conservatively as possible (i.e. minimum possible range for shortest possible time). They're mainly targetted at stopping spam attacks.

On the stealth bans: I think I know what sort of thing you're talking about, and if so I can only recall one time we've done it; it requires staff intervention to perform. Could you please point me to an example?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement