Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Linux IDE

Started by xstreme2000 Feb 3, 2006 at 1:37 PM 8 replies 1.8k views
Original Post
xstreme2000
xstreme2000
Hey, I'm just about to embark on a bit of coding on linux, I've got kdevelop installed as standard with my distro and it looks pretty sweet, is this a good choice or are there others with more features/easier to use? I've seen people talking about Codeblocks but again I know nothing of it. Up until now I'm probably most familiar with VC++ 6 so something similar to that would be best. I think I'll be quite happy with kdevelop, it looks straight forward enough and I got it compiling a few bits of test code and stuff, just wandering if it's the best tool for the job. Thanks in advance for opinions/flames :D
NamelessTwo
NamelessTwo
I believe that Code::Blocks is better and faster but it's still a beta and buggy.
Another nameless person in the virtual space...
ZQJ
ZQJ
Well, I'm using kdevelop at the moment and it seems fine to me. I'm not sure exactly but kdevelop is probably better integrated with other Linux development tools (Glade, QT Designer, can't think of any others off the top of my head) and it supports more languages than C/C++.
Trap
Trap
Emacs with cedet is quite ok, but not particularly pretty.
__filip
__filip
I've tried several IDE's under linux (kdevelop, anjuta, mingw etc.) and realized that most of them are buggy and unstable and doesn't event come close to the functionality and reliability of VC++. Instead I recommend Kate, a text editor which comes with KDE. It has syntax coloring, tabs for fast file browsing, a built in terminal for compilation, debugging and file managment. It's also remarkably stable. However it doesn't have a fancy built in graphical debugger or auto compilation. You need to learn to use gdb (or find a graphical front end you like) and write your own makefiles.
evolutional
evolutional
Quote:
Original post by NamelessTwo
I believe that Code::Blocks is better and faster but it's still a beta and buggy.


I think CodeBlocks has come a long way; the recent versions I've been using aren't really that buggy any more.
255
255
I was recently surprised by how well the latest Eclipse CDT handled code completion. The debugger seemed to work pretty well too, although I didn't test it quite as extensively. Do take a look at it if you haven't done so for a few months.
It seems Eclipse and Code::Blocks are about to be the first Linux IDEs to be comparable to MSVC.
ukdeveloper
ukdeveloper
Quote:
Original post by 255
It seems Eclipse and Code::Blocks are about to be the first Linux IDEs to be comparable to MSVC.


Eclipse is bloated and a bit slow on Windows IMHO, how does it fare up on Linux then? Does it offer better performance at all? It shouldn't do, seeing as it's a Java app in itself, but even so.

Rayno
Rayno
Quote:
Original post by ukdeveloper
Quote:
Original post by 255
It seems Eclipse and Code::Blocks are about to be the first Linux IDEs to be comparable to MSVC.


Eclipse is bloated and a bit slow on Windows IMHO, how does it fare up on Linux then? Does it offer better performance at all? It shouldn't do, seeing as it's a Java app in itself, but even so.

I use eclipse on linux for most of my devolopment. It is a bit of a resource hog and can be sluggish even on fast machines. The only time it is really a hassle is when CDT takes an unbearably long time to parse files. I do know they are working on optimizing the parser in future versions.

Despite being a little tubby, once you get used to it, it does have some really great features and well a designed gui.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.