Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Good PC RPG?

Started by KaptainKomunist Feb 24, 2006 at 12:17 AM 46 replies 18.7k views
Original Post
KaptainKomunist
KaptainKomunist
So, here I have my laptop, and tons of time on my hands. What are some good RPG's for the PC? My computer is finaly showing it's age, so something 2D preferably. I've heard good things about the fallout series, but I'm not so keen on the naughty bits. What else is there? I'll play fallout if I have to.
gumpy
gumpy
i enjoyed baldur's gate 1 and 2. they'll run on fairly old hardware and i'm sure they're extremely cheap now.
This space for rent.
Kevinator
Kevinator
Morning's Wrath of course!
Derakon
Derakon
I've always been fond of the Avernum series (and the Exile series that preceded it, but that's rather old now). They're very old-school, so your computer should have no trouble. They're also shareware and cheap, so you can try 'em and see if you like them. I'm replaying Avernum 2 at the moment. The Geneforge series is also there; same deal, though I'm not as fond of it.

You may or may not consider Escape Velocity to be an RPG; in any case, Escape Velocity Nova is available for Windows machines (and allows you to access the previous two iterations through plugin packs, for free). Similar shareware+cheap price, though you're a bit more limited in what you can do without paying.

You also may not consider Diablo 2 to be an RPG (e.g. you might consider it to be finger exercise :) ). However, it's now old enough to be cheap and downright easy to run.
Jetblade: an open-source 2D platforming game in the style of Metroid and Castlevania, with procedurally-generated levels
Promit
Promit
You could just play FF7 for PC.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
KaptainKomunist
KaptainKomunist
Quote:
Original post by Promit
You could just play FF7 for PC.


LOL, my laptop isn't that old. Will it run under XP?
Muhammad Haggag
Muhammad Haggag
Quote:
Original post by KaptainKomunist
I've heard good things about the fallout series, but I'm not so keen on the naughty bits. What else is there? I'll play fallout if I have to.

If you can, get both 1 & 2. If you're only going to play one of them you might want to get 2 instead (longer, more complex, improved interface). But you really owe it to yourself to play one of them. They're so good that both are my favorite games ever, even though I'm not an RPG fan in general. They're one of those rare mature games aimed at mature people, IMO.

What do you mean by "naughty bits"?

lancekt
lancekt
Planescape: Torment is absolutely amazing if you can find a copy. Deeply weird and kind of brilliant. Same basic engine/gameplay as the Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale games but they take it in a completely perpendicular direction.
Orin Tresnjak | Graphics ProgrammerBethesda Game StudiosStandard Disclaimer: My posts represent my opinions and not those of Bethesda/Zenimax, etc.
matt_j
matt_j
Deus Ex
Deus Ex
Deus Ex
Deus Ex
Deus Ex
Deus Ex
Deus Ex
Deus Ex
Deus Ex

Oh, and System Shock 2. If you tolerate old games, Ultima Underworld, far superior to any other RPG.
Promit
Promit
Quote:
Original post by KaptainKomunist
LOL, my laptop isn't that old. Will it run under XP?
Yeah. You probably want the patch that enables D3D though; software rast is painful even now.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Ravuya
Ravuya
Quote:
Original post by matt_j
Deus Ex
Deus Ex
Deus Ex
Deus Ex
Deus Ex
Deus Ex
Deus Ex
Deus Ex
Deus Ex

Oh, and System Shock 2. If you tolerate old games, Ultima Underworld, far superior to any other RPG.


And Ultima 7 and Wasteland, Fallout, Fallout 2 and Planescape: Torment. These are all games on my top 25, easily.
Programmer16
Programmer16
Quote:
Original post by Muhammad Haggag
Quote:
Original post by KaptainKomunist
I've heard good things about the fallout series, but I'm not so keen on the naughty bits. What else is there? I'll play fallout if I have to.

If you can, get both 1 & 2. If you're only going to play one of them you might want to get 2 instead (longer, more complex, improved interface). But you really owe it to yourself to play one of them. They're so good that both are my favorite games ever, even though I'm not an RPG fan in general. They're one of those rare mature games aimed at mature people, IMO.

What do you mean by "naughty bits"?


He probably means becoming a pornstar and whatnot. Both Fallouts are great, but the second one is better (harder, but better).

I highly recommend Baldur's Gate series, as they are my favorite games. The Icewind Dale series is pretty good also (same engine/designers as Baldur's Gate).

Diablo 2 is ok, but playing online sucks just about as much as any other online game. Beware though, there are a lot of hackers on there, and practically everybody will rip you off for your stuff (thats how I lost my best friend in real life).

Arcanum of Steamworks and Magicka is a pretty fun game and is similiar to Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale in looks.

I second Mornings Wrath!

Spellforce is pretty good, if you don't get ripped off by buying a copy with a bad CD key (I'd recommend against buying this one unless you have $10 to blow).

Restricted Area was a lot of fun in my opinion.

Dungeon Siege was pretty good, but that might be too new.

Those are the best games that I can think of at the moment.

BUT, why play any of these (except for the Baldur's Gate series) when you could be playing Monkey Island?
ajones
ajones
I'd suggest:

Baldur's Gate I and II (plus Throne of Baal expansion)
Planescape Torment
Icewind Dale I and II

...in that order. And then play them again with the missus.
Ravuya
Ravuya
Damn, how could I forget Arcanum? That game is fantastic. So is Vampire: Bloodlines, but good luck finding it.
skjinedmjeet
skjinedmjeet
System Shock 2 is amazing, but 3D; however, it came out a long time ago (1999, I think) and so it should run fine, assuming your hardware isn't terribly antiquated. It's pretty damn near impossible to find it stores, I'm not even sure who owns the rights to it. It can be found, however, on some; well; unseemly websites. Sure, it's not the most legal thing to do, but it is one of the most influential FPS/RPGs in the PC world ever, and it is, as far as I know, the only way to acquire a copy, right now. (If it were ever published again though, I'd buy it in a heartbeat)

Deus Ex is available online, and in stores however; and it is so worth purchasing.

Morrowind is amazing just in terms of the sheer scope. It should run okay on somewhat aging hardware.


Westwood's Nox if you can find it around (I've seen it in a few bargain bins) is a very fun 2D RPG, cool story line, addicting gameplay, and creative way of rendering only what is in the player's sight. Very, very, very reccomended.

Nethack, you're probably aware of, but with some new graphicals for it, it has become more accessible. Well worth the time investment it takes to get used to the commands.

Fallout or Diablo are also fun choices.

But find and buy Nox!
KittyRa
KittyRa
Fable: The Lost Chapters
F-R-E-D F-R-E-D-B-U-R...G-E-R! - Yes!
-Tony-
-Tony-
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2
Risujin
Risujin
Betrayal at Krondor all the way! 199-freaking-3!

...

I feel old.
necreia
necreia
Septerra Core's alright.
KaptainKomunist
KaptainKomunist
Quote:
Original post by necreia
Septerra Core's alright.


Ah! That one sounds familiar? Are there robots in it? I think I saw a friend playing it once. It looked prety cool.

edit: My video card is a radeon IGP 250 or something like that. It can handle quake 3 prety well. I tried the HL2 Demo, and it was almost playable.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.