Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

how bad is cracking your knuckles?

Started by Endar Feb 25, 2006 at 6:54 AM 11 replies 2k views
Original Post
Endar
Endar
Well, I suppose the title says it all. I was just cracking my knuckles, which this time was a fairly loud, and I started wondering how bad cracking your knuckles actually is. I've always been told by everyone under the earth that if you crack your knuckles you'll definately get arthritis later on. I found this and this. Is that it? Does anyone have anything that corroborates the "cracking your knuckles will make your fingers fall off" line of reasoning?
[size="2"][size=2]Mort, Duke of Sto Helit: NON TIMETIS MESSOR -- Don't Fear The Reaper
SticksandStones
SticksandStones
Been doing it all my life, and I don't plan on stopping now. I also crack my back, neck, and other joints as well.
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
BitBlt
BitBlt
It's one of those things that medical people constantly go back and forth on. One minute they say it's harmless, then they say it will give you arthritis. I think we are currently in a "harmless" stage.
vrok137
vrok137
Actually when you pop your knuckles, all you are doing is popping bubbles of mercury etc. from your joints. It can be compared to that "diving pressure" scuba divers are well aware of.

Anyway, if anyone tells you different; just stare at them and say. "I pity the ignorant fool". Hehe, gets them every time.

EDIT:

Quote:
I found this


Why on earth is the "US Department of Enery" releasing an article on knuckle cracking??
DigitalChaos
DigitalChaos
Quote:
Original post by Endar
I've always been told by everyone under the earth that if you crack your knuckles you'll definately get arthritis later on.


who.. or what the hell is talking to you from under the earth?
Bincho
Bincho
Somewhere I read that it is only bad for you if it hurts, and is otherwise completely harmless. I do it all the time, as well as cracking my neck and somehow popping my sternum. Don't ask. I don't know how, I just do.
Cold_Steel
Cold_Steel
Quote:
Original post by vrok137
Actually when you pop your knuckles, all you are doing is popping bubbles of mercury etc.
I hope you meant bubbles of air, because if you have that much mercury in your joints, you're going to have bigger problems that arthritis [wink] Really though, all it is is a release of air bubbles trapped in the joint.

Anyway, everything I've heard about the subject says its entirely harmless, with the only drawback of possibly decreasing your gripping strength slightly over a long period of time. It has never been associated with arthritis. So, unless you're driving your friends and family nuts, crack away.
______"Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains" - J.J. Rousseau
Ravuya
Ravuya
I'm sure we've had threads on this before [grin]

You should ask a doctor.
KaptainKomunist
KaptainKomunist
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=121033

Just ask google. ;)
Jojo_the_fluffy_bear
Jojo_the_fluffy_bear
I'll add my 2 cents.

I play the guitar a lot, and a few years ago I noticed that if I cracked my knuckles by balling up my fist and pressing down then my fingers would be very sore at the middle knuckle after playing for 3-4 hours. If I crack them by pulling them straight out from my hand I don't have this problem. Whether or not this is significant, I don't know.


Jojo
Conner McCloud
Conner McCloud
Quote:
Original post by DigitalChaos
Quote:
Original post by Endar
I've always been told by everyone under the earth that if you crack your knuckles you'll definately get arthritis later on.


who.. or what the hell is talking to you from under the earth?

Australians.

CM
blanky
blanky
OMG, I know all these girls always tell me not to crack my knuckles but I guess it's a pyschological problem for me cause I don't even think about it when I do it, and once I do it, I regret it :( It's so painful :(

I'm gonna have to do something where if I do it, something inflicts pain on me and I stop.

---------------------------------------
"Quitting smoking is the easiest thing in the world! I've done it thousands of times!"
BitBlt
BitBlt
If you ever want to break the habit try this: Next time your in a swimming pool, go under the water and crack your knuckles. It makes such a horrible cracking sound, you'll probably never want to do it again.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.