Original Post
I've been wrestling recently with crafting a framework for gamedev. One of the things that struck me was how awkward it was to prototype ideas quickly. I found this to be an incredibly odd aspect of a creative medium. I spend a lot of time doing web dev stuff for fun (used to professionally), and it struck me that HTML/etc. is a very prototype-friendly context for development. In fact, I started thinking about how the current "web 2.0" model has all of the aspects of gamedev: structure (XHTML), behavior (javascript), aesthetics (CSS). I thought, why is there no equivalent in gamedev? Some may suggest that there is: game engines. But that's not quite it. Game engines would be the equivalent of a CMS app in webdev (Blogger, Wordpress, GoLive, etc.) Game engines are pre-defined structures in which you pump content. That's not what I'm looking for. I'm thinking of something more like <a href="http://www.google.com/search?q=xaml">XAML</a>, but directed at games. I would think this would be incredibly useful as a large aspect of gamedev is interface design (as an extension of interaction design), and markup languages have proven themselves to be very applicable to this job -- or at the very least, there's a lot of intuition out there due to their use on the web. With the "web" model (for lack of a more appropriate term), you have the classic three components: HTML/CSS/DOM. HTML defines structure, CSS defines "look-n-feel" or aesthetics, and the DOM represents programmatic manipulation, i.e. behavior. So, the model is structure/aesthetics/behavior. This, to me, feels fairly complete as it maps very cleanly to a proven architecture: model/view/controller. Hmm... I need to give this some more thought as I'm really just making stuff up as I write... I'd be very interested in hearing what other folks out there have to think about this, though.