Original Post
It took me 2 weeks to study GLSL and get all the render-to-texture stuff working, and all that just to find out that my poor video card does not support floating point textures! Well, I didn't have the money to buy a new one, but I didn't want to give up either, so this is what I came up with! Why not use the alpha channel of ordinary textures and keep a special value there, which will indicate how much brighter the pixel is than 255? Then, in the fragment shader, we could just multiply the color of the fragment by that value in the alpha channel, check if any of the resulting color components are bigger then 255, and if they are, put that fragment in the HDR partition (which will be later blurred to create the blooms), or otherwise, put the LDR partition. What do you think about this idea?