Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Windows Server 2003

Started by Crazy_Vasey Apr 8, 2006 at 10:38 AM 4 replies 950+ views
Original Post
Crazy_Vasey
Crazy_Vasey
I'm just wondering if this offers any real advantages over Windows XP for home users? I can get it off MSDNaa so it's a free upgrade if it's worthwhile, but I've never really heard anything about it being used by home users, not like when everyone was recommending moving to Windows 2000 years back. Everything I've read pretty much says 'gigantic pain in the arse, not worth the hassle' but I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's tried it.
Maega
Maega
If you're not using any of the server functions, it's not much different than Windows XP.
ukdeveloper
ukdeveloper
Quote:
Original post by Crazy_Vasey
I'm just wondering if this offers any real advantages over Windows XP for home users? I can get it off MSDNaa so it's a free upgrade if it's worthwhile, but I've never really heard anything about it being used by home users, not like when everyone was recommending moving to Windows 2000 years back. Everything I've read pretty much says 'gigantic pain in the arse, not worth the hassle' but I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's tried it.


I can also get Server 2K3 off MSDNaa, but I wouldn't run it on a home PC.

I've heard that it's exactly that: a server. It doesn't even come with the XP themes (apart from Windows classic), and what would you use half the features for? Unless you're running a server, there's no point. You can't get drivers for it, because it's not designed for use with that hardware.

That's my £0.02, but I'm probably wrong.

jfclavette
jfclavette
I think it's useful as a student if you need IIS+MSSQL and friends. Much better integrated/easier. Apart from that, you don't have the XP Theme, and the default options are server-oriented (ie, graphics acceleration is disabled) but that can be changed to a functionnal XP-without-theme quite easily.

You might have to pull dirty hacks to install some apps because some apps think its funny when you check for a particular version number. "This is not Windows 2000 or XP, zomg installation FAILED !" (hi2u Doom 3 and HOMM4)
I teleported home one night; With Ron and Sid and Meg; Ron stole Meggie's heart away; And I got Sydney's leg. <> I'm blogging, emo style
ApochPiQ
ApochPiQ
My general policy goes like this: If you have to ask questions about using a server OS as a workstation OS, you are not ready to use a server OS as a workstation OS.

I use 2K3 for my main systems (and 2000 Server on a couple others) but only because I need the increased network throughput (XP has a limit of something like 10 inbound connections which is a royal PITA for telecommuting and running VPN stuff all the time). I also used to extensively use the server features for development during my contracting days. I don't recommend the practice unless you're already very proficient at administrating a server OS. When (not if) the stuff hits the fan, you're on your own - don't expect much help (or even sympathy) from the rest of the world.

Unless you genuinely need server capabilities (e.g. maybe to develop some server-related skills), I'd say stick with XP Pro.
Crazy_Vasey
Crazy_Vasey
Thanks for the replies. Definitely doesn't sound as if there're any advantages there I'd have need of.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.