Game like Maplestory

Started by
8 comments, last by yaustar 18 years ago
is it practical to write a game like maplestory(2d MMORPG) in c++ or shoul i do it in another language? i eventually want to make the game free online but ive started in c++ and read that python and vb might be better suited for things like this. What do you guys think? If i have to start over i will but a 2d rpg in c++ will look pretty nice with the api's and such
Advertisement
I don't think any of the languages - C++ included - are "suited" for making MMORPGs. You can use APIs for all of them that allow you to create an MMORPG and each has their own particular syntax and nuances to be aware of. Just choose the language you're most comfortable with and go with that.

No one can tell you what you'll work best with, although if you're a beginner to programming Python may be a bit more intuitive to grasp than C++, though your mileage will definitely vary on this one.
Yes, it's suitable. MapleStory is written in C or C++. I'm actually writing a game similar to MapleStory in C++ and DirectX (Although slowly...)
Just make sure you learn the language first. There's no point in making a MMORPG as your first project, since there's very little chance of success.
so maplestory was written in c or c++ to. dang o well. what are the limits with the poython language. i actually never heard of it and could it make something like ms or no. i want to make a basic 2d rpg that i can eventually expand on. yes i am new to programming and i still have to learn many things but frankly i dont care i learn best this way. i know i am in over my head but you can always dig urself out. anyway i have already strated c++ and can make the basics of a console window which prints and functions to the creens but is python more suitqable to me fro now?
probably not, python has a bad tendency to be quite slow, you should probably go with something you can get better speeds out of
Quote:Original post by Karakadin
probably not, python has a bad tendency to be quite slow, you should probably go with something you can get better speeds out of

And you have experience with Python game development from where...?

Python is a fine tool to use for this sort of thing. It won't be scalable to a truly massive game, but chances are you won't finish one of those. The Python/Pygame combination is probably best for you to learn how to build a proper 2D game, and then from there you should have the experience to make an intelligent decision on your own on how to proceed with producing an MMORPG.
As a comment on Python - it would be a easier to learn because you can focus on programming basics, rather than being tossed into a boatload of topics learning C++ (along the lines of memory management, type-unsafety, etc).

But to be frank, you aren't going to succeed, unless you break it up into small, easily obtainable goals. Some good ones -
  • Learn a programming language before doing anything else.
  • Choose a graphics API. Learn the ins and outs.
  • Start learning about networking techniques. Latency issues are huge in MMORPGs - learn how to deal with it.
  • Pick up a networking API, and create a simple client-server chat application.
  • Start reading about databases, how to use them with both a command-line tool and with the API for your language of choice.

You don't even stand a chance until you accomplish all of the above things, which will take even the most dedicated upwards of a year to accomplish.

Games aren't the kind of thing you just sit down and decide to do. They require skill, dedication, and time. Lots and lots of time.

As a side-note, I play Maplestory (too much - level 71 Priest) and am familiar with its demographic. Frankly, I've met less than 10 people (over almost two years) that I felt were actually mature enough to start such an undertaking.

Good luck with your project - you'll need it.
thx for the reply. ill get python but is it free and can someone get me qa reliable link top it?
It's free. You can download it from python.org .

Good luck with python, it's a lot of fun.
You may want to take a look at pygame then
PyGame.org

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement