Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Comments and a couple ideas

Started by Programmer16 Apr 24, 2006 at 5:32 PM 3 replies 2.2k views
Original Post
Programmer16
Programmer16
First of all, a lot of the times when I first go into my bookmarks or a post, the number of pages will be reported wrong (around twice as many pages) and if I click on any of these extra pages I get a blank page and have to go back and force refresh. I removed my GDShowcase submission, but I still have a GDShowCase button next to my journal button. A bigger box for entering in the signature stuff would be nice (on the Change Profile page). Also, an option to automatically include your signature? I always forget to click the checkbox. Reading a few other posts, I realized that this isn't going to happen ^_^. How about preview in journals? Its very frustrating to have to go back and edit my post several times. Can we get a post reply button somewhere in the journal? Having to go to the control panel to add a post sucks (yes, I'm lazy.) Why can't we click on the replier's names? This isn't very annoying since I can click on the profile button. Why isn't their a journal button for the repliers? Would it be possible to setup a template system? All of my posts follow the same layout, so having it already setup like that when I post an entry would be nice. I totally misworded this. What I meant was extending the template system. Like in between the header and footer box (on the Modify Journal Settings page) there could be a third box, in which I could put in my template:


<center>Project A update</center>
Project A Update text goes here.
<center>Project B update</center>
Project B Update text goes here.
<center>Rant</center>
My insignificant rant text goes here.
<center>etc</center>
Etc goes here.
And then, when I click Add Entry, the above template would already be in the textbox, ready for me to modify. I know, I'm lazy and picky, but they're just ideas [grin]. [Edited by - Programmer16 on April 24, 2006 6:07:14 PM]
superpig
superpig
Quote:
Original post by Programmer16
First of all, a lot of the times when I first go into my bookmarks or a post, the number of pages will be reported wrong (around twice as many pages) and if I click on any of these extra pages I get a blank page and have to go back and force refresh.
Hm, weird. What's your page size set to in your preferences?

Quote:

I removed my GDShowcase submission, but I still have a GDShowCase button next to my journal button.
Noted.

Quote:

A bigger box for entering in the signature stuff would be nice (on the Change Profile page). Also, an option to automatically include your signature? I always forget to click the checkbox. Reading a few other posts, I realized that this isn't going to happen ^_^.
Nope [grin]

Quote:
How about preview in journals? Its very frustrating to have to go back and edit my post several times.
It's on the wishlist.

Quote:

Can we get a post reply button somewhere in the journal? Having to go to the control panel to add a post sucks (yes, I'm lazy.)
Wishlisted.

Quote:
Why can't we click on the replier's names? This isn't very annoying since I can click on the profile button.
Hmm, good catch.

Quote:
Why isn't their a journal button for the repliers?
Also a good catch. Thanks.

Quote:
Would it be possible to setup a template system? All of my posts follow the same layout, so having it already setup like that when I post an entry would be nice. I totally misworded this. What I meant was extending the template system. Like in between the header and footer box (on the Modify Journal Settings page) there could be a third box, in which I could put in my template:
*** Source Snippet Removed ***
And then, when I click Add Entry, the above template would already be in the textbox, ready for me to modify.
Wishlisted. Bear in mind, though, that the existing template system is likely to change somehow; what's currently in place is both theme-unfriendly and nontechie-unfriendly.

Quote:
I know, I'm lazy and picky, but they're just ideas [grin].
Keep 'em coming...

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse
Programmer16
Programmer16
Quote:
Original post by superpig
Quote:
Original post by Programmer16
First of all, a lot of the times when I first go into my bookmarks or a post, the number of pages will be reported wrong (around twice as many pages) and if I click on any of these extra pages I get a blank page and have to go back and force refresh.
Hm, weird. What's your page size set to in your preferences?

I have it set to 50 posts per page.

Quote:
Original post by superpig
Quote:
Would it be possible to setup a template system? All of my posts follow the same layout, so having it already setup like that when I post an entry would be nice. I totally misworded this. What I meant was extending the template system. Like in between the header and footer box (on the Modify Journal Settings page) there could be a third box, in which I could put in my template:
*** Source Snippet Removed ***
And then, when I click Add Entry, the above template would already be in the textbox, ready for me to modify.
Wishlisted. Bear in mind, though, that the existing template system is likely to change somehow; what's currently in place is both theme-unfriendly and nontechie-unfriendly.

Understandable, and not really that important (I just have my template saved in a file and copy that when I post [grin].)
Programmer16
Programmer16
Thought of two more, so I figured I'd post them here.

Would it be possible to get a quote button in the journal as well?
Also, does the journal views stat count the journal's author? If so, how come?

Edit: Also, I just realized that a few of my RSS feeds don't work (they show the main GameDev news.) All of the rest work though (the two that don't are Stompy's and Hopedagger's.)
Programmer16
Programmer16
The book "Shaders for Game Programmers and Artists" is marked as being $0.00 here, but around $40 on CoursePtr.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.