Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

12-year-old mother to be

Started by gcs584 May 12, 2006 at 5:41 AM 50 replies 7.7k views
Original Post
gcs584
gcs584
The Sun has reported that a girl has fallen pregnant at the age of eleven and is expected to give birth at the "ripe" age of twelve making her the youngest mother in Britain's history. I was suspicious about the story, but the BBC along with other notable newspapers are also reporting the story. Read the story here. I personally feel that the parents are blatantly at fault and have no regard for their child's welfare. What is a child doing on a night-out in town at age 11? Apparently, she's been smoking and drinking since age 10. I have so many criticisms that I'm unsure of where to begin... What do you guys think about this? Is this a trend that you suspect will continue? Should there be ramifications for becoming pregnant at age 11? Should parents be held responsible? GCS584 EDIT: I've updated the link to a different newspaper. The link to The Sun article has been removed since the page no longer exists. [Edited by - gcs584 on May 12, 2006 12:37:56 PM]
Vasant56
Vasant56
I don't know if this already exists, but I think the grandparents should be legally responsible for the grandchildchild until their kid is 16 or 18, in which case legal responsibility falls to the real parent.
Riviera Kid
Riviera Kid
She said: “I can give up smoking at any time, but I don’t find it affects my pregnancy. I also don’t drink any more.”

Hopefully social services will rescue the baby from these eejits.
--------------------------------Dr Cox: "People are tard coated tards with ***tard filling."
gcs584
gcs584
Quote:
Original post by Riviera Kid
She said: “I can give up smoking at any time, but I don’t find it affects my pregnancy. I also don’t drink any more.”

Hopefully social services will rescue the baby from these eejits.


I agree - she is completely foolish. Somebody should teach her what SIDS is all about.
dwarfsoft
dwarfsoft
What I find disturbing the most is that her clear genetic superiority is being passed down to another generation. That and with the smoking she is sure to at least damage the chance her child will get sanity.

If only darwin would step in now...
ukdeveloper
ukdeveloper
Quote:
Original post by gcs584

The Sun has reported that a girl has fallen pregnant at the age of eleven and is expected to give birth at the "ripe" age of twelve making her the youngest mother in Britain's history. I was suspicious about the story, but the BBC along with other notable newspapers are also reporting the story.


I've seen numerous stories of underage births in the UK... but this one takes the biscuit.

No doubt she'll get huge NHS support when the little bugger enters the world, at our expense of course.
shmoove
shmoove
Quote:
Original post by ukdeveloper
I think I've heard stories of even younger mothers.

The youngest I know of was a girl in Brazil that gave birth at age 9 a few years ago (the father was 11 IIRC).

shmoove
Drakkcon
Drakkcon
There are quite a few young mothers here. At my middle school, there was a girl who came into seventh grade pregnant, had the baby, and left pregnant.
Rob Loach
Rob Loach
Found another source....

Quote:
The girl fell pregnant aged 11 after having sex with a 15-year-old on a drunken night out with friends in Edinburgh last August.
.... Wow, who lets their 11 year old daughter go out to a drunken party.

Quote:
The 34-year-old mother-of-six pledged to support the schoolgirl, who is now 12, and has offered to look after the baby while the young mum is at school.
Ahhhh, a mother with six children lets their 11 year old kids go to a drunken party.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [
Alpha_ProgDes
Alpha_ProgDes
Quote:
Original post by Rob Loach
Found another source....

Quote:
The girl fell pregnant aged 11 after having sex with a 15-year-old on a drunken night out with friends in Edinburgh last August.
.... Wow, who lets their 11 year old daughter go out to a drunken party.

Quote:
The 34-year-old mother-of-six pledged to support the schoolgirl, who is now 12, and has offered to look after the baby while the young mum is at school.
Ahhhh, a mother with six children lets their 11 year old kids go to a drunken party.

A mother of six kids (most likely a single mother) probably has two (or even three) jobs and has no time to watch the kids. I doubt she said, "You're getting drunk tonight? Gotta ride home? Ok, see you in the morning!"

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.  
_Sigma
_Sigma
OP link is a 404.


IMHO, that is just poor parenting, but the schools really should have better sex education, and everyone just needs to get over the "eww! sex!" part, and talk to young people about it.
tldalton1622
tldalton1622
this is my husbands account...but all i gotta say is yes, there is some parenting problems there. the parents obviously dont watch over their kids as closely as they should be. but hopefully after that happens to them that they go and get them some kind of birth control for their child. i have a friend that i work with who is 17 and has 3 kids. and all from the same damn guy. people like that need to either get their tubes tied, get birth control, or learn to shut their god damn legs. i think we have enough kids having kids these days. and they dont even take care of them. its the grand parents or the social services. and besides we are the one paying them with our taxes.
Eelco
Eelco
Quote:
Original post by _Sigma
OP link is a 404.


IMHO, that is just poor parenting, but the schools really should have better sex education, and everyone just needs to get over the "eww! sex!" part, and talk to young people about it.


yeah that might have been true a handfull of decades ago, but i can assure you 11 year old girls know what sex is these days. if anything, the schools should offer better responsibility education.
monkeygrrl18
monkeygrrl18
Quote:
Her mother said she was "proud" of her daughter.


IMO that was the worst part. What kind of lesson is that mother teaching her daughter?!
Kaze
Kaze
the hell?,
shouldnt there be some kind of biological limitation to prevent this
cmptrgear
cmptrgear
It wasnt all that long ago (from the history of the human race perspective, 100-150 years ago?) that having kids at that age was the norm. It wasnt until we started living longer lives that we started having kids later. I am sure there are third world countries where this sort of thing is a normal occurance.
"Pfft, Facts! Facts can be used to prove anything!" -- Homer J. Simpson
Pouya
Pouya
Quote:
Original post by Kaze
the hell?,
shouldnt there be some kind of biological limitation to prevent this

Just sit back and let the hormones take care of the biological limitations.
Max_Payne
Max_Payne
Quote:
Original post by Kaze
the hell?,
shouldnt there be some kind of biological limitation to prevent this


Most girls are fertile by 11-12. This means they can get pregnant... There are however, other issues... Most girls at that age don't have wide enough hips for the child to come out naturally, for example. This can threaten the life of the mother when giving birth.

I also don't know what could be the impact of a pregnancy at that age on the mother's growth process... Her body could favor the growth of the fetus over her own growth....

Quote:
IMO that was the worst part. What kind of lesson is that mother teaching her daughter?!


That you should be proud to be a mother... I guess... Or that she should keep enjoying unprotected sex with random guys.

Anyhow. The young girl will most likely survive and get by fine. The real issue is: how will it affect her future? I really doubt that at her age, she is conscious of all the implications it could have. Most likely she thinks of it in terms of a cool new toy and a new social status.

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com
cloudscapes
cloudscapes
The youngest mother I've heard of was 5 years 8 months, but only because she started menstruating at the freakishly young age of 8 months (among other abnormalities)! Lina Medina was her name. There's a wikipedia article on her here, but this may not be worksafe as there's a medium-small photo of her nude and pregnant on there. You have been warned. ;)
______I have a computer!
Dmytry
Dmytry
Well, it wasn't uncommon few hundreds years ago. And back then nutrition was worse than today. This is not exactly good thing, but not really *this* freaky either. What's bad is smoking (but then again some much older mothers smoke too. There's lotta people who is as immature in twenties as in teens)

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.